Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy
A mother of four averted what would have been another disastrous incident of police brutality this week.
Kametra Barbour and her children were pulled over in a case of grossly mistaken identity. According to TheGrio.com, Forney, Texas, police had gotten an alert about a car speeding down the highway while at least one of the occupants was waving a gun in the air.
Authorities were told to look for four black men riding around in a “beige or tan Toyota.” Kametra was driving a red Nissan Maxima with her kids in the vehicle, so she wasn’t even close to fitting the description.
The Forney Police Department acknowledged in a statement that “there were discrepancies in the original vehicle description. Mrs. Barbour’s vehicle was the vehicle that we were directed to by the witness.”
Kametra was pulled over at gunpoint when officers spotted her car. In video from the cop’s dashboard cam, he was heard demanding that Kametra and her kids show him that they had no weapons. “Driver, let me see your hands!” he said. “Everybody stick your hands out the window!”
She did everything the cop asked her to do, but she could be heard asking why exactly she’d been stopped. “What is wrong? My kids! They’re 6 and 8 and 10, 9,” she said. “What are we doing? What is going on? Oh, my God! You will terrify my children.”
The cops eventually figured out that they had the wrong car and let Kametra go while trying to comfort her children, who had been watching the whole incident helplessly from the car.
Relieved that she wasn’t in any trouble, Kametra took her kids home to go over the teachable moment once they had calmed.
“Words cannot express how we felt after we arrived home. We sat down and had a heart to heart lesson about how your life can change in a matter of seconds,” she said in a statement on Facebook. “We went from having a good old time shopping in the store and enjoying each other after a very hard day from laying to rest another mother to me and a grandmother to these children to this horrible interaction with the police.
She added, “I am so proud of all of these children because they learned a valuable lesson yesterday.”
Despite her experience, Kametra is determined not to let it spoil her disposition. She wanted her kids to know that what happened to them could have happened to anyone. “I explain to them that mistakes will happen in life, and as long as you have God on your side and your life in order, then everything will be alright,” she stated. “You must not be bitter or angry; just try to stay calm in a situation like this.”
It’s wonderful that Kametra and her kids are now safe, and that she has given them a resolve to remain in good spirits. However, it is mind-boggling that they could have been mistaken for a car full of grown men.
Even if the car was misidentified, the description of the people in the car could not have been. There’s a huge difference between four grown men in a car and a woman with four of her kids. Common sense should have taken over before cops had Kametra get out of the car.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31