Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy
A mother of four averted what would have been another disastrous incident of police brutality this week.
Kametra Barbour and her children were pulled over in a case of grossly mistaken identity. According to TheGrio.com, Forney, Texas, police had gotten an alert about a car speeding down the highway while at least one of the occupants was waving a gun in the air.
Authorities were told to look for four black men riding around in a “beige or tan Toyota.” Kametra was driving a red Nissan Maxima with her kids in the vehicle, so she wasn’t even close to fitting the description.
The Forney Police Department acknowledged in a statement that “there were discrepancies in the original vehicle description. Mrs. Barbour’s vehicle was the vehicle that we were directed to by the witness.”
Kametra was pulled over at gunpoint when officers spotted her car. In video from the cop’s dashboard cam, he was heard demanding that Kametra and her kids show him that they had no weapons. “Driver, let me see your hands!” he said. “Everybody stick your hands out the window!”
She did everything the cop asked her to do, but she could be heard asking why exactly she’d been stopped. “What is wrong? My kids! They’re 6 and 8 and 10, 9,” she said. “What are we doing? What is going on? Oh, my God! You will terrify my children.”
The cops eventually figured out that they had the wrong car and let Kametra go while trying to comfort her children, who had been watching the whole incident helplessly from the car.
Relieved that she wasn’t in any trouble, Kametra took her kids home to go over the teachable moment once they had calmed.
“Words cannot express how we felt after we arrived home. We sat down and had a heart to heart lesson about how your life can change in a matter of seconds,” she said in a statement on Facebook. “We went from having a good old time shopping in the store and enjoying each other after a very hard day from laying to rest another mother to me and a grandmother to these children to this horrible interaction with the police.
She added, “I am so proud of all of these children because they learned a valuable lesson yesterday.”
Despite her experience, Kametra is determined not to let it spoil her disposition. She wanted her kids to know that what happened to them could have happened to anyone. “I explain to them that mistakes will happen in life, and as long as you have God on your side and your life in order, then everything will be alright,” she stated. “You must not be bitter or angry; just try to stay calm in a situation like this.”
It’s wonderful that Kametra and her kids are now safe, and that she has given them a resolve to remain in good spirits. However, it is mind-boggling that they could have been mistaken for a car full of grown men.
Even if the car was misidentified, the description of the people in the car could not have been. There’s a huge difference between four grown men in a car and a woman with four of her kids. Common sense should have taken over before cops had Kametra get out of the car.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30