Tatsha Robertson (pictured), the only African American senior editor at People magazine, was fired back in May. Now, in a recently filed lawsuit, the journalist is claiming that the long-established, New York City-based Time Inc. brand engaged in on-the-job discrimination and general racial bias towards Blacks, reports the New York Daily News.
According to Robertson, out of the 110 employees at the magazine, a mere five are Black. When Robertson jumped from the Time Inc. publication, ESSENCE, the monthly magazine for Black woman, to People back in 2010, she alleges in the suit that she was subjected to subpar treatment from the magazine’s then executive editor, Betsy Gleick.
“You need to talk like everyone else here. You’re not at Essence anymore,” Gleick is quoted in the suit as saying.
The suit also alleges that Gleick purposely omitted Robertson from crucial staff meetings and blocked her from reporting on African American centered stories. When Robertson pitched a story about a Black model who had been murdered, she alleges that Gleick derogatorily referred to the woman as looking like a “slut” and pointedly informed her there was no interest. “You know the rule — White suburban women in distress,” she said, according to the suit.
The 48-year-old writer also claims Gleich was hell-bent on digging up any negative fact she could get her hands on with regards to Trayvon Martin, the 17-year-old who was brutally gunned down by pseudo-security guard George Zimmerman back in 2012.
Gleick exited the magazine in June and repeated attempts by the New York Daily News at contacting her for a comment resulted in unreturned calls.
As far as People placing African Americans on their cover, according to Robertson’s suit, “In total since 2010, only 14 out of 265 covers have been focused on African-American individuals.” And since 1990, “only three individuals selected as the ‘Most Beautiful Person’ have been Black, out of 25 selections.”
Since Robertson’s departure, according to the suit, “One can only imagine that it will be ‘business as usual’ at People Magazine going forward — more White people on covers, more stories about white people, and a completely dismissive attitude towards African-American employees.”
The former editor is seeking an unspecified amount of monies from People, Time Inc. and her former supervisor, Gleick.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30