Tatsha Robertson (pictured), the only African American senior editor at People magazine, was fired back in May. Now, in a recently filed lawsuit, the journalist is claiming that the long-established, New York City-based Time Inc. brand engaged in on-the-job discrimination and general racial bias towards Blacks, reports the New York Daily News.
According to Robertson, out of the 110 employees at the magazine, a mere five are Black. When Robertson jumped from the Time Inc. publication, ESSENCE, the monthly magazine for Black woman, to People back in 2010, she alleges in the suit that she was subjected to subpar treatment from the magazine’s then executive editor, Betsy Gleick.
“You need to talk like everyone else here. You’re not at Essence anymore,” Gleick is quoted in the suit as saying.
The suit also alleges that Gleick purposely omitted Robertson from crucial staff meetings and blocked her from reporting on African American centered stories. When Robertson pitched a story about a Black model who had been murdered, she alleges that Gleick derogatorily referred to the woman as looking like a “slut” and pointedly informed her there was no interest. “You know the rule — White suburban women in distress,” she said, according to the suit.
The 48-year-old writer also claims Gleich was hell-bent on digging up any negative fact she could get her hands on with regards to Trayvon Martin, the 17-year-old who was brutally gunned down by pseudo-security guard George Zimmerman back in 2012.
Gleick exited the magazine in June and repeated attempts by the New York Daily News at contacting her for a comment resulted in unreturned calls.
As far as People placing African Americans on their cover, according to Robertson’s suit, “In total since 2010, only 14 out of 265 covers have been focused on African-American individuals.” And since 1990, “only three individuals selected as the ‘Most Beautiful Person’ have been Black, out of 25 selections.”
Since Robertson’s departure, according to the suit, “One can only imagine that it will be ‘business as usual’ at People Magazine going forward — more White people on covers, more stories about white people, and a completely dismissive attitude towards African-American employees.”
The former editor is seeking an unspecified amount of monies from People, Time Inc. and her former supervisor, Gleick.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31