Tatsha Robertson (pictured), the only African American senior editor at People magazine, was fired back in May. Now, in a recently filed lawsuit, the journalist is claiming that the long-established, New York City-based Time Inc. brand engaged in on-the-job discrimination and general racial bias towards Blacks, reports the New York Daily News.
According to Robertson, out of the 110 employees at the magazine, a mere five are Black. When Robertson jumped from the Time Inc. publication, ESSENCE, the monthly magazine for Black woman, to People back in 2010, she alleges in the suit that she was subjected to subpar treatment from the magazine’s then executive editor, Betsy Gleick.
“You need to talk like everyone else here. You’re not at Essence anymore,” Gleick is quoted in the suit as saying.
The suit also alleges that Gleick purposely omitted Robertson from crucial staff meetings and blocked her from reporting on African American centered stories. When Robertson pitched a story about a Black model who had been murdered, she alleges that Gleick derogatorily referred to the woman as looking like a “slut” and pointedly informed her there was no interest. “You know the rule — White suburban women in distress,” she said, according to the suit.
The 48-year-old writer also claims Gleich was hell-bent on digging up any negative fact she could get her hands on with regards to Trayvon Martin, the 17-year-old who was brutally gunned down by pseudo-security guard George Zimmerman back in 2012.
Gleick exited the magazine in June and repeated attempts by the New York Daily News at contacting her for a comment resulted in unreturned calls.
As far as People placing African Americans on their cover, according to Robertson’s suit, “In total since 2010, only 14 out of 265 covers have been focused on African-American individuals.” And since 1990, “only three individuals selected as the ‘Most Beautiful Person’ have been Black, out of 25 selections.”
Since Robertson’s departure, according to the suit, “One can only imagine that it will be ‘business as usual’ at People Magazine going forward — more White people on covers, more stories about white people, and a completely dismissive attitude towards African-American employees.”
The former editor is seeking an unspecified amount of monies from People, Time Inc. and her former supervisor, Gleick.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25