Marvel Comics has taken strides to include African-American characters across its various comic book titles since the ’60s, including becoming the first mainstream comic company to feature a Black superhero. What isn’t known to many outside Marvel’s vastly detailed comic books world is that three of its top characters hail from the borough of Harlem in New York.
With Harlem Week celebrating its 40th anniversary celebration wrapping up this weekend, it’s fitting that the “Black Mecca” of America would be the birthplace of X-Men standout Storm, Avengers member Falcon, and the mercenary with a heart, Luke Cage.
Storm, also known as Ororo Munroe, is an African warrior princess with the mutant ability to control the weather. Storm’s father, David Munroe, was a photographer, and her mother, N’Dare, was a Kenyan tribal princess. Storm lived in America when she was a baby but was reared in Africa until she was a teenager.
Played by Halle Berry in the live action X-Men films, Storm is one of Marvel’s most popular characters. Sam Wilson, the Falcon, was a former criminal who crossed paths with Captain America while on his way to committing a major crime. Armed with a detachable flight suit, Falcon also has the ability to connect with birds and see through their eyes.
Falcon learned fighting skills from Captain America before joining the powerful Avengers squad. Marvel’s first Black superhero, Black Panther, helped design Falcon’s flight harness in the comics.
In the Marvel cinematic universe, Falcon is played by Anthony Mackie. Another interesting fact: Falcon has now assumed the role of Captain America. Luke Cage, born Carl Lucas, also has roots in Uptown. The former gang member terrorized the streets of Harlem as a teen and ended up in prison.
As a result, Cage fell victim to a series of secret experiments similar to the Super Soldier serum application that made Captain America superhuman. After the experiments, Cage was adorned with super strength and healing powers. Cage becomes a mercenary or, Hero For Hire, alongside martial arts expert, Iron Fist.
The duo was popular in the comics during the ‘70’s and ‘80’s but has since faded into superhero obscurity. A live action Luke Cage film was announced in 2013, and Jamie Foxx revealed recently that he was approached to play the role. Other actors considered include Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and singer and actor Tyrese Gibson.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25