Confusion, despair and anger. In the aftermath of a suicide, these are often the emotions loved ones most easily summon. Confusion about the thought process that led to such a drastic decision spirals into despair at the tremendous and permanent loss this final act caused. When few satisfactory answers are available, anger usually hovers in the near distance. Yet this emotional roller coaster of hurt often pales in comparison to the pain the departed experienced. Whether that pain was real or imagined, in their minds suicide provided the best option to end the suffering. The difficult reality is that it wasn’t, but few other possibilities can seem tolerable when consumed by overwhelming pain.
Losing Robin Williams hurt. Without a doubt his ability to bring a smile to the most stoic faces was unmatched, but as a clinical psychologist it was him becoming one of over 30,000 individuals in the U.S. who complete suicide each year that most unnerved me. Over 90% of people who die by suicide have a diagnosable mental illness, with depression and substance abuse leading the way.
Mental illness, by definition, creates distortions in how a person experiences the world. Growing psychological and neuroscience research is illuminating the brain’s role in bolstering one of the most potent distorters of reality and consistent predictors of suicidality: hopelessness. Hopelessness that leads to suicide, at its core, represents an embedded belief that life has little to no meaning and is not worth continuing.
The power of this belief to distort the simplest interactions and confirm itself is pervasive and can be all consuming. “Of course she wouldn’t talk to me, what’s the point”, “I can’t do anything right, why am I even here” are just a few of the thoughts that may constantly swirl around the hopeless mind. Couple these beliefs with neurochemical imbalances that illnesses such as depression and substance abuse can foster and life becomes extremely difficult to navigate. While impulsivity and access to lethal means for suicide are key factors in the moment, it is hopelessness that plants the seeds for what the person may eventually believe is the logical conclusion: suicide.
How do you tackle hopelessness? It feels as abstract a question as ‘what’s the meaning of life’. Yet it’s a question that mental health professionals have attempted to answer for over a century, with modest results at best. Suicide rates have remained relatively stable between 10.4 and 12.5 people per 100,000 for the past two decades. While the rate for African Americans is slightly below the average at around 8.0 people per 100,000, Black males have a 4.3 times higher rate of suicide than females.
Efforts to fine tune assessment and bolster mental health resources for individuals through expanded insurance coverage and onsite counselors at work and school have likely saved plenty of lives, but have they saved enough? Maybe the answer lies not in where mental health resources are going, but to whom. Doctors and patients are most folks best bet for where to invest time and energy. Doctors heal. Patients need healing. Makes sense. But doctors also have many patients and even fewer hours. Patients have tremendous pain and usually limited coping strategies at the time. Collectively, their time together amounts to game planning for the next crisis.
1 2Next page »
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31