J. Cole has responded to the shooting death of Michael Brown with a new song titled “Be Free.”
Over somber piano notes, the rapper wails the refrain, “All we wanna do is take the chains off…all we wanna do is be free.”
His tear-stained delivery moves from spoken word to singing. The lyrics plead for peace and equality in light of Brown’s death and the protests in Ferguson, Mo.
The eyewitness accounts of Brown’s friend Dorian Johnson and others are featured in the song.
Folks Jailed While Zimmerman Walks Free
1. Lauryn Hill served jail time on a tax conviction. (Photo: AP)1 of 9
2. Michael Vick served time for dog fighting. (Photo: PRPhotos)2 of 9
3. In 2007, Lil Wayne was jailed for smoking marijuana and for possession of a pistol outside his tour bus. (Photo: AP)3 of 9
4. Rapper Ja Rule was jailed for possession of a weapon and tax evasion. (Photo: AP)4 of 9
5. Wesley Snipes was jailed for failing to file federal income tax returns.5 of 9
6. Singer Ron Isley was jailed for tax evasion. (Photo: AP)6 of 9
7. Lil Kim served time for three counts of perjury and one count of conspiracy related to a shooting outside a Manhattan studio. No one was injured.7 of 9
8. Martin Luther King, Jr. was jailed several times for peacefully protesting during the Civil Rights Movement. (Photo: AP)8 of 9
9. Domestic abuse victim Marissa Alexander was sentenced to 20 years in prison in 2012 for firing two warning shots into a wall. (Photo: Hellobeautiful)9 of 9
REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.
(Photo Source: J. Cole’s Soundcloud)