“He stopped the wrong one, bottom line,” yelled Tatinisha Wheeler, a nurse’s aide who was at the news conference.

A couple dozen protesters began marching around the charred gas station and in the street chanting, “Hands up, don’t shoot,” and, “What do we want? Justice! When do we want it? Now!”

Police have said Brown was shot after an officer encountered him and another man on the street during a routine patrol. They say one of the men pushed the officer into his squad car, then physically assaulted him in the vehicle and struggled with the officer over the officer’s weapon. At least one shot was fired inside the car before the struggle spilled onto the street, where Brown was shot multiple times, according to police.

Police Shooting Missouri

Dorian Johnson has told media a different story. He said he and Brown were walking in the street when an officer ordered them onto the sidewalk, then grabbed his friend’s neck and tried to pull him into the car before brandishing his weapon and firing. He said Brown started to run and the officer pursued him, firing multiple times.

Tensions in Ferguson boiled over after a candlelight vigil Sunday night, as looters smashed and burned businesses in the neighborhood, where police have repeatedly fired tear gas and smoke bombs.

By Thursday, there was a dramatic shift in the atmosphere after Gov. Jay Nixon assigned protest oversight to Highway Patrol Capt. Ron Johnson, who is black and grew up near Ferguson. He marched alongside protesters, along with other high-ranking brass from the Highway Patrol and the St. Louis County Police Department.

“We’re here to serve and protect,” Johnson said. “We’re not here to instill fear.”

The streets were filled with music, free food and even laughter. When darkness fell — the point at which previous protests have grown tense — no uniformed officers were in sight outside the burned-out QuikTrip convenience store that had become a flashpoint for standoffs between police and protesters.

“All they did was look at us and shoot tear gas,” Pedro Smith, who has participated in the nightly protests, said Thursday. “This is totally different. Now we’re being treated with respect.”

The more tolerant response came as President Barack Obama spoke publicly for the first time about the shooting — and the subsequent violence that shocked the nation and threatened to tear apart Ferguson.

Obama said there was “no excuse” for violence either against the police or by officers against peaceful protesters.

Attorney General Eric Holder has said federal investigators have interviewed witnesses to the shooting. After the press conference above, the man now in charge of operations in Ferguson, Missouri Highway Patrol captain Ronald Johnson said even if there were a robbery, the shooting is unrelated and the two should not be confused.

Associated Press writers Jim Salter and Jim Suhr in St. Louis, Eric Tucker in Washington and Hillel Italie in New York, and AP researcher Rhonda Shafner, also in New York, contributed to this report.

(Photos: Facebook, Associated Press)

« Previous page 1 2

47 thoughts on “BREAKING: Robbery Now Alleged in Mike Brown Shooting, Officer ID’ed [PHOTO, VIDEO]

1. Just want to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness in your post is simply excellent and i could assume you are an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the enjoyable work.

2. Hi fantastic blog! Does running a blog similar to this require a great deal of work? I’ve very little expertise in computer programming but I had been hoping to start my own blog in the near future. Anyways, should you have any suggestions or tips for new blog owners please share. I know this is off topic however I simply had to ask. Thanks a lot!

3. I’m truly enjoying the design and layout of your website. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme? Great work!

4. Hmm it seems like your blog ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any recommendations for rookie blog writers? I’d definitely appreciate it.

5. Hi there very cool blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally? I’m glad to search out numerous useful info right here within the publish, we’d like develop extra strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

6. It’s actually a great and useful piece of info. I’m happy that you shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

7. It’s the best time to make a few plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve learn this post and if I may I want to recommend you some attention-grabbing things or advice. Maybe you can write subsequent articles referring to this article. I wish to read more things about it!

8. My partner and I absolutely love your blog and find nearly all of your post’s to be what precisely I’m looking for. Does one offer guest writers to write content available for you? I wouldn’t mind writing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write about here. Again, awesome weblog!

9. Black people today are still treated awfully in this country, it shouldn’t be like this.ive never seen white folks so cruel torward blacks than like today. Seem like obama making president made them worse

10. Dangerous BlkMan on said:

Sorry I have been absent. I have been out in the streets doin my part to honor Mike Brown and protest the sensless killing of black men by whites.
    SO where to start. FIrst it don’t matter if he took cigars. Something all you non blacks need to understand. If you do buisness in our community you have to pay a tax to the communities residience. And if you snith on us we will fuck you up. Who cares if he took somthing from this packastany store.
    Besides the cop didn’t stop him for thieft Mike was stopped for being black.
    I am a huge advocate of shopping only at black owned and operated stores. Only stray from that if you absolutly have to.
    Don’t give those cave apes your money!!!

11. These on-demand sites and applications are becoming more and more essential for major television networks. Growing up in the ninety’s you would not even hear ‘ass’ on TV. Just give it a try by visiting a video streaming website to watch your favorite TV show.

12. Hey! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any tips?

13. the officer was not there for a robbery, he didnt even no nothing about it, he stop them because they where walking in the street ,which is still not a good enought reson to stop some one.

14. Honestly on said:

You piss gum neanderthal apes should be shipped back to the caves of Europe. Because cows, chickens, dogs and children rape is a genetic trait. You pale face gorillas are your own worst enemy, just this week another cave n!@@er in Santa Barbra Ca. murdered his two children and parents. Keep up the good work.

15. I know this web page offers quality depending content and other information, is there any other web page which provides these kinds of data in quality?

16. If black men don’t want to continue to be target practice for cops, they must give up their life of crime. Sadly, this seems to be to difficult for this generation.
    Holla’ at the Law Abiding Scholar

17. Honestly on said:

You cave n!@@ers can shut your sh!tty lips. A neanderthal ape by the name of holmes can go into a packed movie house slaughter innocence people, then walk out with his guns still on his person and be taken alive when encountered by the police. They say this kid took some cheap tobacco from a store and is executed without a trial. While the neanderthal n!@@er in the state of Colorado that murdered 16 people is getting three hots and bed provided to him. You mayonnaise monkeys should have never been let out of the caves of Europe.

18. msyellarose on said:

If they think folks were upset and rioting before, wait until this evening. I only hope the community will remain calm and the entire story will be brought out. The truthful story .

19. msyellarose on said:

Anyone else call BS on this one? The police dept waits nearly a week to bring up an alleged robbery? It still does not warrant going up to an unarmed kid with his hands in the air and blowing him away.

20. I said it. on said:

Strongarm … No gun on them, no cigarettes, and the officer didn’t have on his lights, etc. This is a BS fabrication. Cigarettes have been very dangerous for black men this summer. They’ve been the number one excuse to shoot us down.

21. If this is true, SO WHAT. IT still does NOT justify killing the kid. You make him stop, drop on the ground, and put his hands behind his back. If he resisted, then you use taster or get him to the ground based on your police training.

22. Why didn’t the cop fire a warning shot or just injure Michael? Shoot to kill law need modifications you can’t shoot unarmed suspects..that’s sinister! Well with all these violent video games & horror movies no wonder. Things like this should deter people from practicing violent acts on anybody..& stop practicing Halloween too..Stop giving Satan glory. Police don’t arm themselves in vain people need to understand that..they’ll use their weapons.

• Most Agency’s don’t allow warning shots, police and military are trained to shoot
      to “Neutralize” the threat but like you I sure wish there was video or at least audio
      of this incedent

• Ty, you’re delusional!! This cop already has his mind made up that he was going to MURDER this young black man. Brown’s friend said that the officer was trying to pull his neck through the window of the car and I believe that he did this on purpose, just to say that Brown was reaching for his weapon and it would have justified the killing. Even if Brown did try to take his gun (which I seriously doubt) once he was able to get away and held up his hands, the officer’s duty was to arrest him not shoot him (excessively) dead. He had every chance NOT to kill that young man, but he had EVERY intention to KILL Michael Brown. Period!

23. Once he raised his hands in the air to comply the officer should have stop shooting. I am not surprised that they’re already beginning to make the cop a victim and the dead unarmed teenager the villain. The world we live in.

24. Timekeeper on said:

First, it was “get off the street” Now ( very conveniently I might add) Oh, he was a suspect in a robbery. You can see the man in blue Spin Doctors are already hard at work to give this officer some cover.

25. So that’s how they gonna try to spin this now? I don’t care if he stole 4 boxes of cigars shooting this young man was so unjustified..he was still unarmed. Terrible !

• demp109 on said:

Al Sharpton and the NAACP are from a bygone era these young folk know nothing about. The civil rights era is about politics. These folk need community services like mentoring and afterschool programs that are not media worthy. No camera, no Al Sharpton!!

• demp109 on said:

The old school folks have not contributed anything to the black on black violence agenda. They have not focused any attention to the severity of the matter. They have their place with civil rights, and education, which is commendable and much respect is shown. We need fresh blood and new leadership in matters of mentoring and violence in the black community. Someone like Mike Baisden.