FERGUSON, Mo. (AP) — A suburban St. Louis police chief on Friday identified the officer whose fatal shooting of an unarmed black teenager ignited days of heated protests, and released documents alleging the teen was killed after a robbery in which he was suspected of stealing a $48.99 box of cigars.

Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson released several police reports and documents during a news conference where he also identified the officer involved as Darren Wilson, who has been on administrative leave since he shot 18-year-old Michael Brown on Aug. 9.

Brown and his friend, Dorian Johnson, were suspected of taking a box of cigars from a convenience store in Ferguson that morning, according to police reports. Jackson said Wilson went to the area after a 911 call reporting a “strong-arm” robbery just before noon. He said a dispatcher gave a description of the robbery suspect, and Wilson, who had been assisting on another call, was sent to investigate.

Wilson, a six-year veteran of the police department, encountered Brown just after 12:01 p.m., with a second officer arriving three minutes later, Jackson said.

Brown’s uncle, Bernard Ewing, questioned whether Wilson really believed Brown was a suspect. He noted Johnson’s account that the officer told the two young men to get out of the street and onto the sidewalk, and that Brown had his hands up when he was shot.

“If he’s a robbery suspect, they would have had the lights on,” Ewing said. “If you rob somebody, you would tell them, ‘Get on the ground’ or something, not, ‘Get off the sidewalk.'”

“It still doesn’t justify shooting him when he puts his hands up,” he added. “You still don’t shoot him in the face.”

A phone message seeking comment from the family’s attorney, Benjamin Crump, wasn’t immediately returned.

Brown’s death has sparked several days of clashes with furious protesters in the city. The mood was quelled on Thursday after the governor turned oversight of the protests over to the state Highway Patrol. State troopers walking side-by-side with thousands of peaceful protesters replaced the image of previous nights: police in riot gear and armored tanks.

But the police chief’s announcement Friday was met with immediate disbelief and anger by several dozen community members who also attended the news conference, which was hastily held at a gas station burned during a night of looting earlier in the week in Ferguson, a town of 21,000 that is nearly 70 percent black and patrolled by a nearly all-white police force.

1 2Next page »

47 thoughts on “BREAKING: Robbery Now Alleged in Mike Brown Shooting, Officer ID’ed [PHOTO, VIDEO]

1. Just want to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness in your post is simply excellent and i could assume you are an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the enjoyable work.

2. Hi fantastic blog! Does running a blog similar to this require a great deal of work? I’ve very little expertise in computer programming but I had been hoping to start my own blog in the near future. Anyways, should you have any suggestions or tips for new blog owners please share. I know this is off topic however I simply had to ask. Thanks a lot!

3. I’m truly enjoying the design and layout of your website. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme? Great work!

4. Hmm it seems like your blog ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any recommendations for rookie blog writers? I’d definitely appreciate it.

5. Hi there very cool blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally? I’m glad to search out numerous useful info right here within the publish, we’d like develop extra strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

6. It’s actually a great and useful piece of info. I’m happy that you shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

7. It’s the best time to make a few plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve learn this post and if I may I want to recommend you some attention-grabbing things or advice. Maybe you can write subsequent articles referring to this article. I wish to read more things about it!

8. My partner and I absolutely love your blog and find nearly all of your post’s to be what precisely I’m looking for. Does one offer guest writers to write content available for you? I wouldn’t mind writing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write about here. Again, awesome weblog!

9. Black people today are still treated awfully in this country, it shouldn’t be like this.ive never seen white folks so cruel torward blacks than like today. Seem like obama making president made them worse

10. Dangerous BlkMan on said:

Sorry I have been absent. I have been out in the streets doin my part to honor Mike Brown and protest the sensless killing of black men by whites.
    SO where to start. FIrst it don’t matter if he took cigars. Something all you non blacks need to understand. If you do buisness in our community you have to pay a tax to the communities residience. And if you snith on us we will fuck you up. Who cares if he took somthing from this packastany store.
    Besides the cop didn’t stop him for thieft Mike was stopped for being black.
    I am a huge advocate of shopping only at black owned and operated stores. Only stray from that if you absolutly have to.
    Don’t give those cave apes your money!!!

11. These on-demand sites and applications are becoming more and more essential for major television networks. Growing up in the ninety’s you would not even hear ‘ass’ on TV. Just give it a try by visiting a video streaming website to watch your favorite TV show.

12. Hey! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any tips?

13. the officer was not there for a robbery, he didnt even no nothing about it, he stop them because they where walking in the street ,which is still not a good enought reson to stop some one.

14. Honestly on said:

You piss gum neanderthal apes should be shipped back to the caves of Europe. Because cows, chickens, dogs and children rape is a genetic trait. You pale face gorillas are your own worst enemy, just this week another cave n!@@er in Santa Barbra Ca. murdered his two children and parents. Keep up the good work.

15. I know this web page offers quality depending content and other information, is there any other web page which provides these kinds of data in quality?

16. If black men don’t want to continue to be target practice for cops, they must give up their life of crime. Sadly, this seems to be to difficult for this generation.
    Holla’ at the Law Abiding Scholar

17. Honestly on said:

You cave n!@@ers can shut your sh!tty lips. A neanderthal ape by the name of holmes can go into a packed movie house slaughter innocence people, then walk out with his guns still on his person and be taken alive when encountered by the police. They say this kid took some cheap tobacco from a store and is executed without a trial. While the neanderthal n!@@er in the state of Colorado that murdered 16 people is getting three hots and bed provided to him. You mayonnaise monkeys should have never been let out of the caves of Europe.

18. msyellarose on said:

If they think folks were upset and rioting before, wait until this evening. I only hope the community will remain calm and the entire story will be brought out. The truthful story .

19. msyellarose on said:

Anyone else call BS on this one? The police dept waits nearly a week to bring up an alleged robbery? It still does not warrant going up to an unarmed kid with his hands in the air and blowing him away.

20. I said it. on said:

Strongarm … No gun on them, no cigarettes, and the officer didn’t have on his lights, etc. This is a BS fabrication. Cigarettes have been very dangerous for black men this summer. They’ve been the number one excuse to shoot us down.

21. If this is true, SO WHAT. IT still does NOT justify killing the kid. You make him stop, drop on the ground, and put his hands behind his back. If he resisted, then you use taster or get him to the ground based on your police training.

22. Why didn’t the cop fire a warning shot or just injure Michael? Shoot to kill law need modifications you can’t shoot unarmed suspects..that’s sinister! Well with all these violent video games & horror movies no wonder. Things like this should deter people from practicing violent acts on anybody..& stop practicing Halloween too..Stop giving Satan glory. Police don’t arm themselves in vain people need to understand that..they’ll use their weapons.

• Most Agency’s don’t allow warning shots, police and military are trained to shoot
      to “Neutralize” the threat but like you I sure wish there was video or at least audio
      of this incedent

• Ty, you’re delusional!! This cop already has his mind made up that he was going to MURDER this young black man. Brown’s friend said that the officer was trying to pull his neck through the window of the car and I believe that he did this on purpose, just to say that Brown was reaching for his weapon and it would have justified the killing. Even if Brown did try to take his gun (which I seriously doubt) once he was able to get away and held up his hands, the officer’s duty was to arrest him not shoot him (excessively) dead. He had every chance NOT to kill that young man, but he had EVERY intention to KILL Michael Brown. Period!

23. Once he raised his hands in the air to comply the officer should have stop shooting. I am not surprised that they’re already beginning to make the cop a victim and the dead unarmed teenager the villain. The world we live in.

24. Timekeeper on said:

First, it was “get off the street” Now ( very conveniently I might add) Oh, he was a suspect in a robbery. You can see the man in blue Spin Doctors are already hard at work to give this officer some cover.

25. So that’s how they gonna try to spin this now? I don’t care if he stole 4 boxes of cigars shooting this young man was so unjustified..he was still unarmed. Terrible !

• demp109 on said:

Al Sharpton and the NAACP are from a bygone era these young folk know nothing about. The civil rights era is about politics. These folk need community services like mentoring and afterschool programs that are not media worthy. No camera, no Al Sharpton!!

• demp109 on said:

The old school folks have not contributed anything to the black on black violence agenda. They have not focused any attention to the severity of the matter. They have their place with civil rights, and education, which is commendable and much respect is shown. We need fresh blood and new leadership in matters of mentoring and violence in the black community. Someone like Mike Baisden.