One woman is crying foul after a popular New York Club refused to let her and another friend inside to party.
A former college athlete, who chose to remain anonymous, told RadarOnline.com that she believes she was refused entrance into 1Oak based on her race. While the lounge has hosted celebrities of all colors, the woman was stopped at the door on July 26, when she rolled up with two friends: one white, one black.
The slighted reveller didn’t come up with the accusations of outright racism on her own. The doorman waved her white friend through when they showed their idea, but he cut them off with the velvet rope. “Sorry, ladies, not gonna happen tonight,” she recalled him saying at the time.
Flabbergasted by the denial, the victim said that she and her friend, “continue to stand there for a couple minutes, slightly confused.” While they were standing in line, the bouncer let more of the victim’s party, who also happened to be white, into the club. She and her friend were still left standing outside hoping to eventually get access.
She began to notice that the doorman wasn’t being as unwelcoming to other white patrons, liberally granting them entrance into the club. The would-be partier and her friend saw that “some with purple and orange hair, some with flats on and some severely under-dressed for a club,” and the bouncer still let them in.
1Oak isn’t denying that its very selective about who is allowed into its venue, but reps say the club is “anything but racist.” Instead, they argue that the club employees “a strict door policy that sees many men and women of many ethnicities get turned down … at the doorman’s discretion.”
Then the establishment threw some shade at the victim and her friend stating that their complaints, which the club claims to be taking very seriously, are nothing more than “a severe case of sour grapes from someone who has never seen the inside of 1 OAK.”
This is not the first time that 1Oak has been slammed with accusations of discrimination. The lounge was sued in 2008 over claims that co-owner Scott Sartiano “did not like Black and Asian people” because he had a fear of them. The plaintiffs, two former employees, filed suit because the nightclub fired the four black and Asian floor server had at the time.
Outside of 1Oak’s denials, it should be noted that the club was packed with black girls and guys on July 1, when Trey Songz had his “Trigga” album release party.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25