One woman is crying foul after a popular New York Club refused to let her and another friend inside to party.
A former college athlete, who chose to remain anonymous, told RadarOnline.com that she believes she was refused entrance into 1Oak based on her race. While the lounge has hosted celebrities of all colors, the woman was stopped at the door on July 26, when she rolled up with two friends: one white, one black.
The slighted reveller didn’t come up with the accusations of outright racism on her own. The doorman waved her white friend through when they showed their idea, but he cut them off with the velvet rope. “Sorry, ladies, not gonna happen tonight,” she recalled him saying at the time.
Flabbergasted by the denial, the victim said that she and her friend, “continue to stand there for a couple minutes, slightly confused.” While they were standing in line, the bouncer let more of the victim’s party, who also happened to be white, into the club. She and her friend were still left standing outside hoping to eventually get access.
She began to notice that the doorman wasn’t being as unwelcoming to other white patrons, liberally granting them entrance into the club. The would-be partier and her friend saw that “some with purple and orange hair, some with flats on and some severely under-dressed for a club,” and the bouncer still let them in.
1Oak isn’t denying that its very selective about who is allowed into its venue, but reps say the club is “anything but racist.” Instead, they argue that the club employees “a strict door policy that sees many men and women of many ethnicities get turned down … at the doorman’s discretion.”
Then the establishment threw some shade at the victim and her friend stating that their complaints, which the club claims to be taking very seriously, are nothing more than “a severe case of sour grapes from someone who has never seen the inside of 1 OAK.”
This is not the first time that 1Oak has been slammed with accusations of discrimination. The lounge was sued in 2008 over claims that co-owner Scott Sartiano “did not like Black and Asian people” because he had a fear of them. The plaintiffs, two former employees, filed suit because the nightclub fired the four black and Asian floor server had at the time.
Outside of 1Oak’s denials, it should be noted that the club was packed with black girls and guys on July 1, when Trey Songz had his “Trigga” album release party.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31