One woman is crying foul after a popular New York Club refused to let her and another friend inside to party.
A former college athlete, who chose to remain anonymous, told RadarOnline.com that she believes she was refused entrance into 1Oak based on her race. While the lounge has hosted celebrities of all colors, the woman was stopped at the door on July 26, when she rolled up with two friends: one white, one black.
The slighted reveller didn’t come up with the accusations of outright racism on her own. The doorman waved her white friend through when they showed their idea, but he cut them off with the velvet rope. “Sorry, ladies, not gonna happen tonight,” she recalled him saying at the time.
Flabbergasted by the denial, the victim said that she and her friend, “continue to stand there for a couple minutes, slightly confused.” While they were standing in line, the bouncer let more of the victim’s party, who also happened to be white, into the club. She and her friend were still left standing outside hoping to eventually get access.
She began to notice that the doorman wasn’t being as unwelcoming to other white patrons, liberally granting them entrance into the club. The would-be partier and her friend saw that “some with purple and orange hair, some with flats on and some severely under-dressed for a club,” and the bouncer still let them in.
1Oak isn’t denying that its very selective about who is allowed into its venue, but reps say the club is “anything but racist.” Instead, they argue that the club employees “a strict door policy that sees many men and women of many ethnicities get turned down … at the doorman’s discretion.”
Then the establishment threw some shade at the victim and her friend stating that their complaints, which the club claims to be taking very seriously, are nothing more than “a severe case of sour grapes from someone who has never seen the inside of 1 OAK.”
This is not the first time that 1Oak has been slammed with accusations of discrimination. The lounge was sued in 2008 over claims that co-owner Scott Sartiano “did not like Black and Asian people” because he had a fear of them. The plaintiffs, two former employees, filed suit because the nightclub fired the four black and Asian floor server had at the time.
Outside of 1Oak’s denials, it should be noted that the club was packed with black girls and guys on July 1, when Trey Songz had his “Trigga” album release party.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30