Brandy is ready to clear the air with Oprah Winfrey about a huge fib she told the media maven more than 10 years ago.
When Brandy sits down for a chat on “Oprah: Where Are They Now?,” airing Sunday at 9 p.m. on OWN, O’s going to call her out for lying about being married to the father of her daughter Sy’rai.
Instead of getting defensive, Brandy offered up a heartfelt apology (with a little humor), stating, “I’m really sorry for that because you don’t just lie to Oprah!”
Although Brandy has explained why she felt the need to lie about her marital status in 2002 before, she spelled it out for Oprah again during their one-on-one chat.
“At that time, being pregnant out of wedlock was not a trend. It was not something that people praised,” Brandy stated. “It was a sin, and I felt like I could not be honest about that.”
The issue might seem like a small one now, but remember there weren’t shows like “Teen Mom” or “16 & Pregnant” in 2002. Back then, Brandy had created a spotless persona for herself, and she was terrified to admit that she was an unwed mother.
“I felt the pressure of, again, having to be perfect. I was scared,” Brandy told Oprah. “The image that I worked so hard to build was threatened, and I felt like having a child out of wedlock would ruin my career.”
With that issue addressed, Brandy will also be speaking out about her memories of Whitney Houston. They were incredibly close, and Brady looked up to the “I’m Every Woman” diva, not just as a friend, but as a trust mentor.
Losing Whitney on her birthday was a devastating loss for Brandy, but it’s not the only tragedy to befall her. The “Game” star will also be talking about the devastating car wreck in California that haunts her to this day when “Where Are They Now?” airs Sunday.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25