Black Jesus, remember that uproar over Christmas?
Somehow Santa Clause was dragged into it too.
Well Black Jesus is back, this time without Santa, but causing quite the uproar, even outrage.
Last time Fox News was the culprit behind the Black Jesus controversy.
This time my own parent company is behind it, Adult Swim from the Cartoon Network, which is owned by Turner Broadcasting, which is owned by Time Warner.
Black Jesus a sitcom created by Aaron McGruder who also created the edgy animated series, Boondocks.
McGruder is a genius in the art of subversion.
His N-word Boondocks episode ticked off people in just about any group you could name from, conservatives to liberals to Al Sharpton to Anne Coulter because it parodied just about everyone.
His Boondocks episode about a theater and movie producer slash actor named Winston Jerome which allegedly parodied Tyler Perry also ruffled quite a few feathers, especially Tyler Perry’s.
Why the outcry this time?
In the TV series, Jesus is a wine drinking, weed smoking, black man who lives in Compton, California.
Before the series has even aired, some are calling for a boycott and that it be cancelled.
Some Christian groups are calling it “utter foolishness and blasphemous.”
One of those groups is One Million Moms.
They posted a statement which says the show, “makes a mockery of our Lord.”
Another such group is the House of Prayers for All Nations Ministries in Chicago.
Its Pastor David A. Rodgers released a statement which says, “We the Christian community are vehemently opposed and violently offended at this upcoming program soon to air on your channel called BLACK JESUS.”
The American Family Association, a white Christian group is also calling for a boycott of the show saying, “This kind of programming is insulting and unacceptable.”
Obviously the show is meant to be satirical.
Perhaps we need to explain to some people what the term satire means.
According to the dictionary, satire is the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people’s stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.
Topical issues like Jesus or Santa’s whiteness or blackness.
It’s essentially a way of educating people through humor.
Have we really become so polarized and so sensitive that we’ve lost our sense of humor?
Ask yourself, what would Jesus do?
I think he’d probably at least watch the first episode before jumping to conclusions, and let he who is without sin or in this case a sense of humor cast the first stone.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25