We spend a lot of time in this country focusing on how to curb the use of illegal drugs like cocaine, heroin and marijuana.
There is no doubt the illegal use of those drugs is a huge problem.
But it is high time we turn our focus to a different type of drug abuse; and that is the skyrocketing use of prescription drugs.
It’s happening quietly in our homes, on college campuses, in the military, on the streets and even among our sports heroes.
Prescription drug abuse is the nation’s fastest growing drug problem.
Most of the time it involves opiates, a strong pain killer consisting of opium.
Fifty-two million people in the US, over the age of 12, have used prescription drugs non-medically; meaning just for the high, or in the case of opiates, for the low.
I say low because opiates work by slowing down breathing and heart rate.
And if you mix them with other things that slow down your body like anti-anxiety drugs and alcohol, it can cause death just like it did with singer Whitney Houston.
In a series that premiers on CNN on Monday, Cynthia, a mother of 8 from Colorado says she took OxyContin for severe hip pain and became hooked in just two weeks.
When she confessed to her doctor just how much she was taking he told her she was ingesting enough for three adult men.
Cynthia is lucky because every 19 minutes someone dies of an accidental prescription drug overdose from an addiction that knows no age or ethnic bounds.
According to a recent Mayo Clinic study, nearly 70% of Americans are on at least one prescription drug, and more than half take two.
Twenty percent of patients are on five or more prescription medications.
And guess what the most popular prescriptions are? – Antibiotics, antidepressants and you guessed it, highly addictive painkilling opioids.
Here’s the problem.
Those opioids are expensive and over time the addiction is so strong that many turn to cheaper highs like heroin; thus the explosion of heroin use in the country.
The question is how do you stop the epidemic?
No one, not even medical and addiction professionals seem to have a good answer.
The sad reality is that the drugs meant to ease the pain and prolong life are now causing more pain and even death.
Make sure you watch the CNN series “Deadly Fix.”
It begins on Monday morning on CNN and runs the entire week.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25