This young woman has done nothing in her life to deserve this humiliation. In a recorded call with one of her alleged attackers, who has been identified as 17-year-old Innel Yahia, he is arrogant and dismissive, saying that Jada never let him “hit” and that she was the aggressor with another young man who was alleged to have raped her. (Though we cannot definitively determine who is speaking, the conversation is consistent with Jada’s story, Yahia’s own posts on social media and peppered with references and slang common to teens.) On the call, Yahia brags about a threesome with two other girls, and Jada’s friends on the call allege that those girls are both under age. The girls also say that he will get his just due.
While the police and our legal system will ultimately decide who will be charged, Jada has shown enormous courage by publicly accusing her attackers at all. After the incident, after pictures of her body undressed below the waist and after other students hit up Yahia’s Twitter account (since deleted) in support of him, posing sprawled on the floor with the hashtag #Jadapose and asking for the “recipe” for the drink that knocked her out, Jada came forward. She has told her story to the local Houston news and on national television on The View. Her mother has also appeared on TV and given her daughter her full support.
This little girl, who has been humiliated and disrespected and exposed literally and figuratively, has had the courage many rape victims don’t, to come forward and say “I’m a victim and what was done to me was wrong.”
Beyonce and Rihanna don’t really have anything to do with this. There’s nothing wrong with liking a celebrity. But they are entertainers whose careers are supported by mega-corporations and have staff to cater to their every whim, as well as fans willing to do literal battle for them on social media.
We pick our heroes because they inspire us. Today my hero is a 16-year-old from Texas who had the courage to stand up for herself in the face of an assault not just at a party, but across social media afterwards. In standing up for herself, she is also standing up for the silent victims that similar things have happened to but who are too scared or traumatized to speak up as well.
Jada has said she wants her attackers punished and jailed. They were wrong. So before you head over to the hottest blog to find out what messy shade Rihanna has dished out today or the latest pics from the “On The Run” tour, take time to drop a #IStandwithJada or a #IAmJada hashtag via Twitter or circulate the very picture that runs with this commentary.
Jada is not alone. She is just one of the many women already this year who have been raped, murdered or molested. But she doesn’t have a #Navy or a #Beyhive to run to her defense.
Well, I think we should give her one. #IStandWithJada
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
« Previous page 1 2
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30