This young woman has done nothing in her life to deserve this humiliation. In a recorded call with one of her alleged attackers, who has been identified as 17-year-old Innel Yahia, he is arrogant and dismissive, saying that Jada never let him “hit” and that she was the aggressor with another young man who was alleged to have raped her. (Though we cannot definitively determine who is speaking, the conversation is consistent with Jada’s story, Yahia’s own posts on social media and peppered with references and slang common to teens.) On the call, Yahia brags about a threesome with two other girls, and Jada’s friends on the call allege that those girls are both under age. The girls also say that he will get his just due.
While the police and our legal system will ultimately decide who will be charged, Jada has shown enormous courage by publicly accusing her attackers at all. After the incident, after pictures of her body undressed below the waist and after other students hit up Yahia’s Twitter account (since deleted) in support of him, posing sprawled on the floor with the hashtag #Jadapose and asking for the “recipe” for the drink that knocked her out, Jada came forward. She has told her story to the local Houston news and on national television on The View. Her mother has also appeared on TV and given her daughter her full support.
This little girl, who has been humiliated and disrespected and exposed literally and figuratively, has had the courage many rape victims don’t, to come forward and say “I’m a victim and what was done to me was wrong.”
Beyonce and Rihanna don’t really have anything to do with this. There’s nothing wrong with liking a celebrity. But they are entertainers whose careers are supported by mega-corporations and have staff to cater to their every whim, as well as fans willing to do literal battle for them on social media.
We pick our heroes because they inspire us. Today my hero is a 16-year-old from Texas who had the courage to stand up for herself in the face of an assault not just at a party, but across social media afterwards. In standing up for herself, she is also standing up for the silent victims that similar things have happened to but who are too scared or traumatized to speak up as well.
Jada has said she wants her attackers punished and jailed. They were wrong. So before you head over to the hottest blog to find out what messy shade Rihanna has dished out today or the latest pics from the “On The Run” tour, take time to drop a #IStandwithJada or a #IAmJada hashtag via Twitter or circulate the very picture that runs with this commentary.
Jada is not alone. She is just one of the many women already this year who have been raped, murdered or molested. But she doesn’t have a #Navy or a #Beyhive to run to her defense.
Well, I think we should give her one. #IStandWithJada
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
« Previous page 1 2
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31