The eyes are more than just the windows to your soul; they are also windows to your health. Symptoms of many serious health problems like diabetes, high blood pressure and liver issues are first seen in the eyes. Most professionals recommend getting your eyes checked once a year, but take a close look at the signs below to see when you may need to see your eye doctor sooner.
1. Inflammation: Inflammation of the eyes could be a sign of an autoimmune disease like lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. Inflammation may occur in one or both eyes and is common in people of all ages. Symptoms of inflammation include:
- Blurred vision
- Feeling of heat/warmth behind the eyes
Why you need to see your doctor: Treatment for eye inflammation depends on the underlying cause.
2. Leaky blood vessels: Weak blood vessels in the eye are a telltale of diabetes. Elevated blood sugar (blood glucose) levels can clog and damage retinal blood vessels. Diabetics are at high risk for eye diseases such as diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma and cataract.
Why you need to see your doctor: Diabetic retinopathy is the leading cause of blindness in American adults.
3. Mole inside the eye: The skin isn’t the only thing that needs protection from the sun. Sunlight can also increase the risk of developing cancer inside the eyeball. This type of melanoma can look like a mole or small raised surface on the retina.
Why you need to see your doctor: An eye melanoma can quickly spread to surrounding tissue, so getting an early diagnosis is critical.
4. Blisters: Excessive emotional or mental stress can cause blisters inside the eyeballs, a condition called central serous retinopathy (CSR). The body becomes so stressed out that the retina leaks a blister-forming fluid. Blurry vision or seeing wavy lines when trying to focus are common symptoms.
Why you need to see your doctor: CSR typically clears up on it’s on within months, but more serious cases require professional treatment.
5. Red blotches: Persistent red blotches on the whites of the eyes can be a sign of high blood pressure (hypertension). High pressure causes the blood vessels to expand or sometimes burst, leaving the red marks. A copper or silver hue to the retinal arteries are another sign of high blood pressure.
Why you need to see your doctor: More than 20 percent of people with high blood pressure aren’t aware that they have it, and getting the eyes checked is often the first time it’s discovered. If HBP is left untreated, blood vessels in the retina and throughout the body may harden, increasing the risk for stroke or a heart attack.
If you notice any changes in your vision or how your eyes look, see your eye doctor immediately.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25