The eyes are more than just the windows to your soul; they are also windows to your health. Symptoms of many serious health problems like diabetes, high blood pressure and liver issues are first seen in the eyes. Most professionals recommend getting your eyes checked once a year, but take a close look at the signs below to see when you may need to see your eye doctor sooner.
1. Inflammation: Inflammation of the eyes could be a sign of an autoimmune disease like lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. Inflammation may occur in one or both eyes and is common in people of all ages. Symptoms of inflammation include:
- Blurred vision
- Feeling of heat/warmth behind the eyes
Why you need to see your doctor: Treatment for eye inflammation depends on the underlying cause.
2. Leaky blood vessels: Weak blood vessels in the eye are a telltale of diabetes. Elevated blood sugar (blood glucose) levels can clog and damage retinal blood vessels. Diabetics are at high risk for eye diseases such as diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma and cataract.
Why you need to see your doctor: Diabetic retinopathy is the leading cause of blindness in American adults.
3. Mole inside the eye: The skin isn’t the only thing that needs protection from the sun. Sunlight can also increase the risk of developing cancer inside the eyeball. This type of melanoma can look like a mole or small raised surface on the retina.
Why you need to see your doctor: An eye melanoma can quickly spread to surrounding tissue, so getting an early diagnosis is critical.
4. Blisters: Excessive emotional or mental stress can cause blisters inside the eyeballs, a condition called central serous retinopathy (CSR). The body becomes so stressed out that the retina leaks a blister-forming fluid. Blurry vision or seeing wavy lines when trying to focus are common symptoms.
Why you need to see your doctor: CSR typically clears up on it’s on within months, but more serious cases require professional treatment.
5. Red blotches: Persistent red blotches on the whites of the eyes can be a sign of high blood pressure (hypertension). High pressure causes the blood vessels to expand or sometimes burst, leaving the red marks. A copper or silver hue to the retinal arteries are another sign of high blood pressure.
Why you need to see your doctor: More than 20 percent of people with high blood pressure aren’t aware that they have it, and getting the eyes checked is often the first time it’s discovered. If HBP is left untreated, blood vessels in the retina and throughout the body may harden, increasing the risk for stroke or a heart attack.
If you notice any changes in your vision or how your eyes look, see your eye doctor immediately.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
28 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 28
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 28
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 28
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 28
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 28
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 28
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 28
8. new new
8 of 28
9. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
9 of 28
10. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
10 of 28
11 of 28
12. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
12 of 28
13. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
13 of 28
14. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
14 of 28
15. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
15 of 28
16. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
16 of 28
17. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
17 of 28
18. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
18 of 28
19. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
19 of 28
20. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
20 of 28
21. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
21 of 28
22. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
22 of 28
23. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
23 of 28
24. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
24 of 28
25. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
25 of 28
26. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
26 of 28
27. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
27 of 28
28. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
28 of 28