Here we go again.
A government leader is asked a question about the president and race and all hell breaks loose.
This time it’s U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder.
He took on the subject of race in America again and addressed the question about whether some of the opposition to President Barack Obama is based on the color of his skin.
Holder was responding to a question by ABC News’ Pierre Thomas about why Holder once said he and the President are sometimes treated differently.
When pressed by the reporter, Holder went on to explain more directly.
Conservatives like Rush Limbaugh pounced on the comments.
According to a transcript of his radio show Limbaugh says, “Not true, The Republicans bent themselves into as many shapes as they could to agree with this president. They went out of the way to praise Holder’s nomination. I’ll never forget that.”
Limbaugh went on to say it was all an effort then by Republicans to curry favor from the Obama administration and show that they were not bigots.
Others, accused Holder and the administration of, “playing on the fears and anxieties of minorities in hopes of scaring them to the polls in November.”
Jason Riley of The Wall Street Journal wrote that previous quote as part of an opinion piece for the newspaper.
And on CNN yesterday he told me that he would respond the same way that President Obama responded some years back when asked the same question as Holder.
Meaning that in his eyes and in the eyes of the opposition the criticism of the president is based solely on what the right calls his quote, “failed policies.”
As I always say, context is everything.
We should keep in mind that the interview was a wide ranging interview which included other topics than race.
We should also keep in mind that the attorney general was responding to a reporter’s questions about race and opposition the Obama administration.
And we should keep in mind that Holder prefaced his comments by saying he didn’t know what people were holding in their hearts and that he believed that ‘some’ of the opposition was based on race – not all.
So let’s just be honest, yes there are people who legitimately oppose the President because of ideology or they just don’t like his policies.
But, considering the history of this country wouldn’t it, at the very least, be disingenuous to say race plays no role for ‘some’ people who oppose the first black president?
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25