LOS ANGELES (AP) — The proposed $2 billion sale of the Los Angeles Clippers is now in nobody’s court.
With a deadline looming next week to approve the deal, a judge on Thursday delayed the next hearing. But lawyers said a deadline extension was probable.
Lawyers for disgraced team owner Donald Sterling told the judge more witness testimony was necessary but they could not return until July 21 because of personal plans.
So Superior Court Judge Michael Levanas put off the next hearing and scheduled further sessions that will culminate with closing arguments on July 28.
The fate of the Clippers is actually up to the NBA, which has banned Sterling from the league for life for making racist statements and has indicated it could seize and auction the team if a sale isn’t completed by Sept. 15.
Sterling’s wife, Shelly Sterling, testified Thursday that NBA Commissioner Adam Silver told her several weeks ago that he would consider reducing her husband’s lifetime ban to a single year if he agreed to sell.
Sterling had seemed eager to find a buyer earlier this year but later turned against the idea, she said.
Sterling has now vowed he’ll never sell and is suing to block his wife’s single-handed deal to sell the team to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer for $2 billion.
Shelly Sterling said she feared players wouldn’t play and sponsors would boycott if her husband held on to the team and that she kept Sterling informed of her search for a buyer.
“Every day, he would ask me, ‘Who did you interview? What did they offer?'” she said.
Ballmer’s offer — which would be a record for an NBA team — was the highest of four offers she obtained.
“I thought it was fabulous,” she said, adding that she also personally liked Ballmer and even would have accepted a lower offer.
After hearing the offer, Sterling told her “he was very happy and proud of me,” Shelly Sterling said.
But when it came to signing off on the deal at the end of May, everything changed.
“He started screaming and cursing at me,” she said. “He said he’s not going to sell the team. He’s going to sue the league.”
In earlier testimony, two doctors hired by Mrs. Sterling to examine him declared that the 80-year-old had Alzheimer’s disease and was mentally incapable to continue acting as administrator of the family trust that owns the Clippers.
On the witness stand, Shelly Sterling denied that she hired the doctors because she was concerned about her husband’s mental state and not because she wanted him removed as a trustee so she could make a deal.
“I had in mind my husband’s welfare,” she said.
When she left the witness stand, Shelly Sterling walked over to her husband’s lawyer, Maxwell Blecher, who had been aggressively cross-examining her, and she hugged him. They both had acknowledged during testimony that they had known each other for at least 30 years.
The current deadline for Ballmer’s offer is next Tuesday, although his attorney, Adam Streisand, said outside court that there’s a provision to extend that date to Aug. 15 as long as progress is being made in court.
However, next Tuesday also is the day that the NBA is supposed to vote on Ballmer’s offer — and there is no deal without the judge’s approval of the sale.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
(Photo Source: AP)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25