Officer Phillip Tobin (pictured) is a marked man since the residents of Thomaston, Ga., rallied together Tuesday night, demanding that he be ousted from the police force for extreme acts of brutality, according to 11Alive News.
The townspeople reportedly took turns revealing the allegedly horrific stories of bully tactics and physical atrocities that were brought on by Tobin. The residents also called upon the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) and U.S. Attorney’s Office to not only investigate the allegations against the allegedly rogue cop but to take the town’s police department to task for keeping him employed for more than a decade despite the countless complaints brought up against him over the years.
The meeting was reportedly organized by the Thomaston Improvement Association and was attended by not only the town’s residents but by many prominent Atlanta-based civil rights activists, such as Georgia Sen. Vincent Fort and civil rights attorneys Albert A. Mitchell and Mawuli Mel Davis.
Residents offered compelling stories that even brought some to tears as they recounted their brushes with Tobin. One woman summoned police to help carry out a restraining order against her husband, but instead, she and her son were reportedly treated as criminals when Tobin arrived at her home. The officer allegedly held a gun to her son’s head with the barrel cocked, threatening to “blow his head off,” and the woman was ordered to be silent by Tobin. “I was the victim,” the unnamed distraught woman revealed at the meeting, “He pulled a gun… I wasn’t trying to cause no trouble.”
Another man came forward to discuss how Tobin beat him unmercifully to the point of needing hospitalization — and it was allegedly done without provocation.
Tobin’s latest alleged incident, though, took place on June 11th and involves a man who was standing in front of a convenience store. Tobin reportedly thought the man was loitering and shot him with a taser. The officer alleges the man aggressively resisted him but a video tells another story of a compliant individual who actually put his hands up in the air.
According to 11Alive News, they claim to have obtained the Thomaston Police Department’s files on the complaints against Tobin and there were reportedly more than 600 pages to sift through.
The community’s main complaint against the police force is that their issues with Tobin have not been acted upon.
Now attorneys who attended the town meeting against Tobin could reportedly wind up pulling together a federal civil rights lawsuit against the officer, the police department, and the city states 11Alive News.
Meanwhile, Tobin is suspended with pay while the police department is forced to re-examine the countless complaints against him. The GBI will also investigate Tobin’s latest incident involving his alleged use of a taser.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31