LOS ANGELES (AP) — The head of the California Highway Patrol said he was shocked and the agency’s reputation is hurt by a video showing an officer repeatedly punching a woman he pinned on the side of a Los Angeles freeway.
CHP Commissioner Joe Farrow vowed to complete a comprehensive investigation in weeks instead of the usual months.
The now-viral video shot by a passing freeway driver shows 51-year-old Marlene Pinnock being repeatedly punched as she’s straddled by the officer on the shoulder of Interstate 10.
“This is one of the most significant events of my 34-year career that I’ve ever dealt with,” Farrow said. “We’ve never seen this before.”
Farrow spoke at a news conference Tuesday after a two-hour meeting with community and civil rights leaders, the second involving CHP officials since the July 1 incident occurred.
“I heard them loud and clear,” Farrow said. “We put the issue right on the table in front of us. We’re dealing with it. We’re not going to run and hide.”
Farrow said state law prevents him from revealing the officer’s name. The officer has been with the department for a year and a half and has been assigned to desk duty pending the investigation’s completion.
Sgt. Denise Joslin said officials are working in conjunction with the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office on the investigation. Members of the Los Angeles Police Department were also present at Tuesday’s meeting and offered their support, she said.
The investigation will primarily focus on the video itself, Farrow said.
“The whole issue … comes down to what happened when the encounter got into a physical altercation,” Farrow said. “What was the cause for (the officer) to use force? And that’s where we are right now.”
No other video was taken. The in-car video didn’t capture the incident, which took place behind the highway patrol vehicle, Farrow said.
Rev. K.W. Tulloss, who heads the Los Angeles chapter of the National Action Network, said he appreciated Farrow and other top CHP officials meeting with community activists but said they wouldn’t back down from pushing for more answers and an outside investigation.
“He’s a CHP officer not an MMA fighter. It was truly excessive, it was visible, and it was just devastating,” Tulloss said. “There’s no excuse. CHP officers are trained law enforcement officers. They should know how to deal with (all types of) individuals.”
The department implemented a new “crisis intervention” training program this year to help officers deal with mentally disabled individuals, Farrow said. All personnel were required to complete it by June 30.
Pinnock remains in the hospital under a psychiatric hold. Her family found her covered in bruises, ice packs and taking pain medication.
“I’m just so overwhelmed,” daughter Maisha Allums told reporters Tuesday. “I can’t believe a CHP officer that was supposed to protect my mom and help my mom beat her like a — I can’t even say like a dog because if it was a dog getting beat like that he would have been in jail.”
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25