Gabrielle Union stirred up some hate while celebrating the sisterhood she’s built up around herself in Hollywood.
As a former Mean Girl, the Think Like A Man Too star knows the power of positive influences. On Woman Crush Wednesday she gave a special shout out to the ladies that have helped her to become a better woman.
“When ppl ask me how i learned to be a professional or how to navigate Hollywood and all it’s ups and downs,” Gabrielle stated in a post on Instagram earlier this week, “I always say I was lucky enough to have had guardian angel actresses.”
She thanked Regina King, Holly Robinson-Peete, Tichina Arnold and Tisha Campbell-Martin for always being there to “show me the way, to hold my hand, to be a partner in crime, and a giver of hope and discipline… they give love.”
Their support has been invaluable to Gabrielle in an industry where women are more likely to tear each other down than build one another up. “Nowadays some women seem to relish how much shade they can throw or who they can shun or getting off on watching ppl fail or flail,” Gabrielle wrote. “I’m forever grateful for these powerful dope women in my life showing me the way.”
One of Gabrielle’s critics took her last statements as just the opening they needed to serve up a big cup of judgement in the comments section!
Like you respected Shavonne on that JET COVER…, HAVE A SEAT. Or like you ruined a marraige,” one follower by the name of bohemianchicbaby wrote in reply. “Like you uplifted other black actresses. ..name someone you mentored? I’ll wait.”
The hater wasn’t done there as they asked, “How’s that break baby?”
Before wrapping up the read, bohemianchichbaby recalled Gabrielle’s words about losing the role on ABC’s hit drama “Scandal” months ago. “Remember when you shaded Kerry Washington and said ‘I wasn’t disappointed about not getting ‘Scandal,’ I got something better.’ So shady, but you call out others?”
Pulling a direct quote is a patented troll move that reflects just how dedicated someone is to spreading hate. Gabrielle had a few loyals speak on her behalf, though, to argue that everyone should be allowed to grow.
Another follower with the handle flgrown came to Gabrielle’s defense, arguing “We have all made mistakes on our journey, I am grateful that ONLY God himself is the ultimate judge.”
Still another Gabrielle fan pointed out that bohemianchicbaby totally missed the point of Gabrielle’s post. “When you learn, you teach.. When you get, you give.. Exactly what she is doing” a followe who goes by jourdenstia wrote. “Sad some of y’all don’t get it.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25