NEW YORK (AP) — A man convicted of raping his former stepdaughter in an attack she disclosed years later in a college application essay was sentenced Monday to 18 years in prison.
The 62-year-old man, balding with a bushy gray beard, entered the Brooklyn courtroom carrying a Bible. He swayed lightly as he heard his sentence.
The Associated Press is withholding the man’s name because disclosing it could identify his accuser. The AP generally does not identify victims of sexual assault unless they come forward publicly.
The man repeatedly raped his then-stepdaughter in 2003, according to a court complaint. She was only 8 years old at the time and kept the abuse secret from her family for nearly a decade until penning an essay to apply to a Florida religious college, prosecutors said. She’d been asked to write about what made her who she is.
“My home life has always been something interesting,” began the 2012 piece, which was aired at the ex-stepfather’s recent trial.
The former stepdaughter wasn’t in court Monday, but Assistant District Attorney Anna Krutaya read a statement from the woman.
“Getting closure and justice on this horrible situation” has been the best that could come from it,” she said in the statement. She added that after testifying, “I felt like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.”
“I feel a lot happier than before,” she wrote. “I will not forget what happened, but I will move on from it.”
The man declined to speak, but his lawyer, Ernest Hammer, noted that he plans to appeal.
“He denies he committed the crime,” Hammer said, calling the case “a difficult matter and a very, very unattractive one.”
He said his client has been jailed since his conviction and has endured verbal and physical abuse from fellow inmates and is now being held in protective custody.
The essay also described how the woman’s churchgoing childhood was upended after her mother embarked on a marriage that “changed my life forever.”
While her ex-stepfather seemed all right at first, “toward the end of the marriage he began to rape me,” his accuser wrote.
At the time, “I never told anyone … at that point in my life, I was scared,” she added.
Her mother, by then divorced and remarried, read the essay and called police, prosecutors said.
Hammer has suggested that the mother was trying to get back at her former husband and that the student was bidding for sympathy to get into college.
“It’s her best effort to try to get the attention of the admissions committee of that college,” Hammer said in closing arguments earlier this month.
A jury convicted his client of rape and other charges.
His former stepdaughter had moved to Florida with her mother, rejoiced in her mother’s new marriage and recommitted to her faith, according to her essay.
“All I have been through has made me the person I am today,” she concluded.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
(Photo Source: Thinkstock)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25