Southern California’s record of police brutality has been well documented, with the Rodney King case and the ensuing 1992 riots in Los Angeles serving as a grim reminder. A little over a decade later, white officers in Inglewood were accused of assaulting Black special needs student Donovan Jackson while he was handcuffed on July 6, 2002. Although the incident was caught on videotape, the officers were never charged. They later won a $2.4 million discrimination lawsuit despite the damning evidence.
When Jackson, then 16, and his father, 41-year-old Coby Chavis, stopped at a local gas station Inglewood officers Jeremy Morse and Bijan Darvish approached Chavis as he exited the convenience store, questioning him about his expired car registration. Allegedly, Chavis’ son got too close to the cops and a scuffle ensued. Jackson was placed in handcuffs, picked up by Morse, slammed into the hood of his dad’s car and then punched in the face. A bystander recorded the entire ordeal on videotape, which was released to news outlets nationally.
Rev. Al Sharpton, Rev. Jesse Jackson, Rev. Martin Luther King III and other community leaders collectively called for Morse’s firing. After months of protests, Morse was fired in October but Darvish was merely given a 10-day suspension. The case made its way to the desk of then-U.S. Attorney John Ashcroft for further investigation.
Experts at the time thought the government’s swift reaction to Jackson’s case was to stave off a potential race riot situation similar to the aforementioned Los Angeles riots in the wake of the King beating. During the trial, Morse claims Jackson tried to grab his private area, a claim disputed by lawyers for the family. Further, it was revealed that Jackson was much smaller than the two cops who tried to apprehend him. The District Attorney’s office of Los Angeles County tried to prosecute the officers in two separate trials, both ending in hung juries.
Jackson’s legal team requested a third trial, but was denied. Amazingly, Morse and Darvish sued the City of Inglewood in a discrimination lawsuit alleging that the media fervor surrounding the assault on Jackson because of race discriminated against them. A jury awarded the pair $2.4 million in 2005.
That same year, Jackson’s family settled a federal civil rights lawsuit against the City of Inglewood and the county for an unspecified amount.
The agreement was worded to absolve the city and Los Angeles County of any wrongdoing.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25