Southern California’s record of police brutality has been well documented, with the Rodney King case and the ensuing 1992 riots in Los Angeles serving as a grim reminder. A little over a decade later, white officers in Inglewood were accused of assaulting Black special needs student Donovan Jackson while he was handcuffed on July 6, 2002. Although the incident was caught on videotape, the officers were never charged. They later won a $2.4 million discrimination lawsuit despite the damning evidence.
When Jackson, then 16, and his father, 41-year-old Coby Chavis, stopped at a local gas station Inglewood officers Jeremy Morse and Bijan Darvish approached Chavis as he exited the convenience store, questioning him about his expired car registration. Allegedly, Chavis’ son got too close to the cops and a scuffle ensued. Jackson was placed in handcuffs, picked up by Morse, slammed into the hood of his dad’s car and then punched in the face. A bystander recorded the entire ordeal on videotape, which was released to news outlets nationally.
Rev. Al Sharpton, Rev. Jesse Jackson, Rev. Martin Luther King III and other community leaders collectively called for Morse’s firing. After months of protests, Morse was fired in October but Darvish was merely given a 10-day suspension. The case made its way to the desk of then-U.S. Attorney John Ashcroft for further investigation.
Experts at the time thought the government’s swift reaction to Jackson’s case was to stave off a potential race riot situation similar to the aforementioned Los Angeles riots in the wake of the King beating. During the trial, Morse claims Jackson tried to grab his private area, a claim disputed by lawyers for the family. Further, it was revealed that Jackson was much smaller than the two cops who tried to apprehend him. The District Attorney’s office of Los Angeles County tried to prosecute the officers in two separate trials, both ending in hung juries.
Jackson’s legal team requested a third trial, but was denied. Amazingly, Morse and Darvish sued the City of Inglewood in a discrimination lawsuit alleging that the media fervor surrounding the assault on Jackson because of race discriminated against them. A jury awarded the pair $2.4 million in 2005.
That same year, Jackson’s family settled a federal civil rights lawsuit against the City of Inglewood and the county for an unspecified amount.
The agreement was worded to absolve the city and Los Angeles County of any wrongdoing.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31