Pharrell’s “Happy” is keeping a smile on the musician’s face: The song won Video of the Year Sunday at the BET Awards, which aired live from the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles.
Last year, the network didn’t announce the top award in the jam-packed show.
Pharrell thanked his family, fans who elevated the song to No. 1 and BET for its support.
“(BET) allows us as black people to be different and do what we do,” he told the crowd. “You guys keep the lights on for us.”
Nicki Minaj told the crowd at the BET Awards that she was close to death recently — an experience that has helped her be herself.
The rapper rambled onstage when accepting her fifth consecutive win for best female hip-hop artist, where she thanked Lil Wayne for his support, talked about writing her own lyrics and about getting the credit she deserves in the industry.
“The other day, literally I didn’t tell anybody this, I really thought I was about to die. Like, I was saying my prayers to die. And I didn’t even want to call the ambulance because I thought, ‘Well if I call the ambulance, it’s going to be on TMZ,'” she said, as some of the audience laughed.
“And I would rather sit there and die,” she added, looking to the crowd. “And it made me realize I don’t care what anybody got to say. I’m going to do me.”
Minaj performed her latest single, “Pills N Potions,” and also won best group with her Young Money bandmates, which includes Lil Wayne and Drake.
The multitalented Pharrell, who also won best male R&B/pop artist, kicked off the show with a playful performance of “Come Get It Bae” featuring the reclusive Missy Elliott. Host Chris Rock also succeeded with back-to-back jokes, helping take attention away from a fatal shooting and a separate stabbing at unsanctioned parties celebrating the ceremony.
Rock didn’t mention the violence. He won over the audience with jokes about Donald Sterling, the hit series Scandal and rapper Rick Ross. He called the BET Awards the “Black World Cup.”
The show featured a medley of hits from Usher, and Iggy Azalea performed her anthemic “Fancy,” which is spending its fifth week on top of the Billboard charts. Chris Brown, who was recently released from jail, gave an energetic performance. He sang and danced his signature moves to his latest Top 10 hit, “Loyal” along with Li’l Wayne and Tyga.
John Legend sang “You and I,” joined by rising newcomer Jhene Aiko, who won over the crowd by singing her hit, “The Worst” as Legend played piano.
As the show kicked off, a tearful August Alsina, nominated for four honors, won the night’s first award for Best New Artist.
“I represent the struggle,” the New Orleans newcomer said onstage. “This award is not for me, it’s for the people.”
Robin Thicke, who sang and played piano, dedicated his performance of “Forever Love” to his wife Paula Patton, whom he is separated from. He said “I miss you and I’m sorry” and the performance ended up with a photo of former couple. Drake won best Male Hip-Hop Artist but did not attend the show.
Lionel Richie, the Lifetime Achievement award recipient, was serenaded by Legend, Ledisi and Yolanda Adams, who sang a rousing rendition of “Jesus Is Love.” She earned a standing ovation.
“I’m glad I sang the song first. Otherwise, I would not be here onstage,” Richie said, holding his award. He performed “Easy Like Sunday Morning” and “All Night Long (All Night).”
A tribute to 90s R&B was met with praise, too: Groups like Silk, Color Me Badd and Troop performed well-known jams that enticed the crowd.
The late icons Maya Angelou and Ruby Dee were remembered in words by Phylicia Rashad, who earned a stirring applause when she walked onstage.
Beyonce and Jay-Z , the night’s top nominees with six apiece, launched a co-headlining stadium tour days ago. A video of Beyonce and Jay-Z performing “Partition” closed the Awards.
Lupita Nyong’o, who won an Oscar for “12 Years a Slave,” was named Best Actress.
The full list of winners is here.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30