Pharrell’s “Happy” is keeping a smile on the musician’s face: The song won Video of the Year Sunday at the BET Awards, which aired live from the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles.
Last year, the network didn’t announce the top award in the jam-packed show.
Pharrell thanked his family, fans who elevated the song to No. 1 and BET for its support.
“(BET) allows us as black people to be different and do what we do,” he told the crowd. “You guys keep the lights on for us.”
Nicki Minaj told the crowd at the BET Awards that she was close to death recently — an experience that has helped her be herself.
The rapper rambled onstage when accepting her fifth consecutive win for best female hip-hop artist, where she thanked Lil Wayne for his support, talked about writing her own lyrics and about getting the credit she deserves in the industry.
“The other day, literally I didn’t tell anybody this, I really thought I was about to die. Like, I was saying my prayers to die. And I didn’t even want to call the ambulance because I thought, ‘Well if I call the ambulance, it’s going to be on TMZ,'” she said, as some of the audience laughed.
“And I would rather sit there and die,” she added, looking to the crowd. “And it made me realize I don’t care what anybody got to say. I’m going to do me.”
Minaj performed her latest single, “Pills N Potions,” and also won best group with her Young Money bandmates, which includes Lil Wayne and Drake.
The multitalented Pharrell, who also won best male R&B/pop artist, kicked off the show with a playful performance of “Come Get It Bae” featuring the reclusive Missy Elliott. Host Chris Rock also succeeded with back-to-back jokes, helping take attention away from a fatal shooting and a separate stabbing at unsanctioned parties celebrating the ceremony.
Rock didn’t mention the violence. He won over the audience with jokes about Donald Sterling, the hit series Scandal and rapper Rick Ross. He called the BET Awards the “Black World Cup.”
The show featured a medley of hits from Usher, and Iggy Azalea performed her anthemic “Fancy,” which is spending its fifth week on top of the Billboard charts. Chris Brown, who was recently released from jail, gave an energetic performance. He sang and danced his signature moves to his latest Top 10 hit, “Loyal” along with Li’l Wayne and Tyga.
John Legend sang “You and I,” joined by rising newcomer Jhene Aiko, who won over the crowd by singing her hit, “The Worst” as Legend played piano.
As the show kicked off, a tearful August Alsina, nominated for four honors, won the night’s first award for Best New Artist.
“I represent the struggle,” the New Orleans newcomer said onstage. “This award is not for me, it’s for the people.”
Robin Thicke, who sang and played piano, dedicated his performance of “Forever Love” to his wife Paula Patton, whom he is separated from. He said “I miss you and I’m sorry” and the performance ended up with a photo of former couple. Drake won best Male Hip-Hop Artist but did not attend the show.
Lionel Richie, the Lifetime Achievement award recipient, was serenaded by Legend, Ledisi and Yolanda Adams, who sang a rousing rendition of “Jesus Is Love.” She earned a standing ovation.
“I’m glad I sang the song first. Otherwise, I would not be here onstage,” Richie said, holding his award. He performed “Easy Like Sunday Morning” and “All Night Long (All Night).”
A tribute to 90s R&B was met with praise, too: Groups like Silk, Color Me Badd and Troop performed well-known jams that enticed the crowd.
The late icons Maya Angelou and Ruby Dee were remembered in words by Phylicia Rashad, who earned a stirring applause when she walked onstage.
Beyonce and Jay-Z , the night’s top nominees with six apiece, launched a co-headlining stadium tour days ago. A video of Beyonce and Jay-Z performing “Partition” closed the Awards.
Lupita Nyong’o, who won an Oscar for “12 Years a Slave,” was named Best Actress.
The full list of winners is here.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31