Dr. Ersula Ore, an English professor at Arizona State University who was pushed and slammed to the ground by a police officer last month after refusing to show identification, now faces felony charges for assaulting an officer, reports AZFamily.com.

Ore was attempting to cross a campus street when she was stopped by Officer Stewart Ferrin who asked her for identification.

“The reason I’m talking to you right now is because you are walking in the middle of the street,” Officer Ferrin can be heard saying on dashcam footage obtained by 3TV.

“Let me see your ID or you will be arrested for failing to provide ID,” Ferrin said.

“Are you serious?” Ore asked.

“Yes, I am serious. That is the law,” Ferrin replied.

“I never once saw a single solitary individual get pulled over by a cop for walking across a street on a campus, in a campus location. Everybody has been doing this because it is all obstructed. That’s the reason why,” Ore said to the officer. “But you stop me in the middle of the street to pull me over and ask me, ‘Do you know what this is? This is a street.’ ”

“Are you aware that this is a street?” Ferrin asked.

“Let me finish,” Ore said.

“OK, put your hands behind your back,” Ferrin said.

“Don’t touch me,” Ore said. “Get your hands off me.”

“Put your hand behind your back. I’m going to slam you on this car. Put your hand behind your back,” Ferrin said.

“You really want to do that? Do you see what I’m wearing? Do you see?” Ore said.
Ore was wearing a black dress. Ferring replied to her query with, “I don’t care what you’re wearing.”

The situation escalated from there, with Ferrin struggling to restrain Ore as she screamed for witnesses to help her.

SEE VIDEO ABOVE

Arizona State University released the following statement supporting the police officers’ actions:

“ASU authorities have reviewed the circumstances surrounding the arrest and have found no evidence of inappropriate actions by the ASUPD officers involved. Should such evidence be discovered, an additional, thorough inquiry will be conducted and appropriate actions taken.

“Because the underlying criminal charges are pending, there is not much more we can say at this time. The Maricopa County Attorney’s Office has reviewed all available evidence, including the police report, witness statements, and audio and video recordings of the incident, and decided to press criminal charges of assaulting a police officer, resisting arrest, refusing to provide identification when requested to do so by an officer, and obstructing a highway or public thoroughfare.”

Ore, who is attempting to fight the charges, is claiming self-defense:

“She was exposed, told officer she was exposed,” said Ore’s attorney Alane Roby. “Her dress was up; the officer was reaching toward her anatomy. She felt uncomfortable with hands going there.”

See Raw Video Of The Violent Encounter

To demand justice for Ore, sign the petition at MoveOn.org.

18 thoughts on “Ersula Ore: ASU Professor Slammed To Ground By Police Officer [VIDEO]

1. SFC(R) Eric E. Terrell on said:

I have seen the Raw Footage. Believe me; I looked for any signs of brutality or racial profiling. I have concluded that Dr. Ore was clearly in the wrong. As a matter of fact, the Police Officer, in this situation, was extremely patient. I am a black man and there is nothing worse than seeing a woman (black or otherwise) being mistreated by a man. However, not all “White Cops” are out to harm minorities. Police Officers have a very dangerous job to do. As an educated professional, Dr. Ore should have known better. Since when do we argue with anyone with a gun? Not only does he have a gun, but a badge and the Law to back him up. I learned (very early on) that you follow instructions when you are dealing with the Police, whether you are in the right or not, then you file a complaint. We all know that you can’t file a complaint if you are dead. I am sure Dr. Ore felt that she was disrespected and harassed. However, in my opinion, she set a bad example for young black men and women to follow when dealing with the law. I am not saying that we must be passive, but we must be smart. The type of behavior Dr. Ore displayed will have our children lying in the streets outlined in chalk.
    Furthermore, I have learned that the clips of this incident being shown on the news have been edited. We are once again being swallowed up into the Media’s Propaganda. The Media is using this story to fuel our anger and toy with our emotions solely for Ratings. If you believe in some conspiracy theories then you may believe that there may be some driving force to separate and conquer. Regardless, the Media doesn’t care if this story sparks riots ore causes anyone to get hurt. That’s just more to report about. I suggest you do your homework before you pass judgment. Otherwise, you will fall under ‘their’ control and never think for yourself. Watch the video in its entirety and ask yourself would this even be an issue if the Cop was black?

2. americanize. on said:

If ur black an the police pulls you over do what they asked especially if they are white. You don,t know if they hate black people. The police is judge,jury, an executioner.

3. pjamesiii on said:

This would not have occurred if this professor was white! The officers’ contempt for her was the reason this situation escalated to this point. The officer had all the power in this situation and it did not have to go down like this. “People”, know your rights. It is NOT unlawful to refuse to present ID when an officer asks for it while you’re walking down the street. As of 2013, 24 states had stop-and-identify laws. Regardless of your state’s law, keep in mind that police can never compel you to identify yourself without reasonable suspicion to believe you’re involved in illegal activity.

4. Pepsi Gal on said:

I got accepted to ASU. I am so glad I did not got there – 30 years ago. My daughter recently got accepted to ASU – she also chose not to go there. Jay Walking???? Really? Another slow day in AZ!!!

5. Amber on said:

This is NOT racial profiling. she was told to show her ID and she refused. When a person refused to do what the law say, that person open herself up to be in trouble with the law. What is she was wanted on a warrant for a crime and the police let her go because she did not show who that she was a wanted person? Then we would blame the police for not doing their job. She was wrong as far a I can see because she REFUSED to be cooperative.

6. Cynic13 on said:

I would like to see footage of the beginning – when the officer first approached the professor; then we’d really see who was out of line.

7. There has to be more to this story that we are not seeing. Yes, there is a video, but everything can be edited these days. Honestly, as a black man, I am going to wait until all the facts come out.

8. Amazon on said:

You ask for trouble when you do not comply with law enforcement officers. They both are wrong and allowed their arrogance to take control. She has really embarrassed herself and ASU.

9. jhuf on said:

OK now if she had just complied with officers and shown her ID would any of this had happened?
    NEWS flash to all those including this supposed educated professor, when you get into a physical
    altercation with police the outcome is predictable

10. Lace on said:

I watched the raw video and it seems that the officer approached the professor with an aggressive tone. According to his words on the video, she was simply walking in the street because of construction on the sidewalk. I feel that his tone would have been different had she been a white male or white female. His tone indicated that he had no respect for her based on a perception that he obviously had before every speaking a word. She too picked up on his tone which is why she asked him to simply address her with respect. I understand her charge of assault because she kicked the officer but what about some explanation for the officer’s lack of respect for, in her words… “a citizen”?

• Amber on said:

It does MATTER what tone the officer used, many officers approach people with a tone of “authority”, that is legal for an officer to do; however, this professor should have followed the RULES when he asked for her ID, if she did not like the appoach, she should have later call the police dept and report the officer. THAT IS THE PROFESSIONAL way to do it. WHen she refused, she opened herself up to be arrested.

11. Dangerous BlkMan on said:

Its about time someone who gets beat by the cops is someone who acually deserve is. The fucking professors have been stealing money from my people for so long. They charge way to much tuition to where even with help my people are stuck paying for it for the rest of their lives. Then when the government trys to step in to help with tuition by providing more money to grants, the proffesors just raise tuition more so that they get more money without having to teach more kids. Fuck em. They all need to be beat.