NEW YORK (AP) — A Chicago-area lawyer and accountant labeled by the government as history’s most prolific and unrepentant tax cheat was sentenced Wednesday to 15 years in prison, and the judge bemoaned the “incredible greed” of some of America’s wealthiest people for taking advantage of the tax shelters he peddled.
The lawyer, Paul M. Daugerdas, 63, was ordered to pay nearly a half-billion dollars in restitution and forfeit $164 million in cash and property, including a lakefront Wisconsin home, after he was convicted at trial last year of conspiracy, tax evasion and mail fraud. He must report to prison Sept. 18.
Daugerdas, of Wilmette, Illinois, did not speak at sentencing. Outside court, he said he was “profoundly disappointed” and it was a “sad day” for the criminal justice system.
Daugerdas earned more than $95 million as the architect of a fraud from 1994 to 2004 that relied on sophisticated and illegal tax shelters to shield some of the country’s richest people from paying taxes on nearly $8 billion in gains, said U.S. District Judge William H. Pauley III. The government lost $1.6 billion in tax revenues as a result, including $32 million owed by Daugerdas, who used his tax shelters to claim he owed only $8,000 in taxes, prosecutors said.
“This case shows the astonishing lengths some super-wealthy Americans will go to avoid their obligation as citizens,” the judge said. “Mr. Daugerdas was a tax shelter racketeer who tapped into the incredible greed of some of the super-wealthy who didn’t want to contribute to the nation whose freedom made their huge financial successes possible.”
He added that Daugerdas found “willing customers in a sordid crowd of real estate tycoons, tire magnates, software developers, many others. None of them cared one whit about lying to the government.”
And he said the charismatic Daugerdas found it easy to corrupt attorneys, accountants and financial advisers as he involved some of the country’s largest financial institutions and accounting firms.
“The success of the scheme depended on the unethical and criminal behavior of highly educated and highly compensated professionals,” the judge said.
Prosecutors said Daugerdas helped create tax shelters for investors including the late sports entrepreneur Lamar Hunt, trust fund recipients, inventors, a grandson of the late industrialist Armand Hammer, real estate moguls and one of the earliest investors in Microsoft Corp.
Daugerdas was acquitted of nine charges, and the judge cited them in rejecting the 20-year term recommended by prosecutors, who called him the mastermind of the largest tax fraud in U.S. history.
Daugerdas is a former head of the Chicago office of a once prestigious Texas-based law firm, Jenkens & Gilchrist. The judge noted that the firm, with 600 attorneys and offices around the country, “collapsed under the weight of his criminal acts.”
After Daugerdas was convicted three years ago, the judge ordered a new trial because a corrupt juror had spoiled the verdict. The judge scolded prosecutors for failing to bring criminal charges against the juror.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
(Photo Source: Thinkstock
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25