Most modern music relies heavily on the use of samples, the art of taking a snippet of a pre-existing recording, and working it into a new song.
Over the years we’ve known music to be a highly collaborative effort and more times than not, thanks to technology, the two artists don’t even have to be in the same room.
While we’ve seen some of our favorite musicians dragged to court over improper sampling, in honor of Black Music Month we’re celebrating the top three most samples artists of all time.
Take a look at the two artists whose music you hear more than anybody’s.
James Brown – 3,773 times
The founding father of funk music took 20th century music to new heights with his popular and electrifying performances. So popular in fact, that Dr. Dre, Nas, Jay Z, Kanye, Biggie and The Isley Brothers are just some of the musicians who’ve sampled music from Brown.
In addition to being sampled by a staggering 3,773 times, he also holds the record as the artist to have charted the most singles on the Billboard Hot 100 which did not reach number-one on that chart.
In 2003 Rolling Stone named four of Brown’s albums on their list of 500 Greatest Albums of all Time.
He died on Christmas Day in 2006. He was 73.
Catch the biopic above starring Chadwick Boseman as James Brown, in theaters August 1st.
Public Enemy – 1,528 times
In 1982 Chuck D, Flava Flav, Professor Griff, DJ Lord, Khari Wynn and S1W Group shocked the world with their politically-charged lyrics and opinions of the Black community. Aside from the number of controversial headlines the Long Island group made, their music has lived on long past their early years.
James Brown, Marsha Ambrosius and Stevie Wonder are only a few artists that have dug into the group’s enormous catalog to help assist with their sound.
Proving to be wise beyond their years, both musically and culturally, Public Enemy was famous for being on of the firsts to release MP3-only albums, a feat that was unknown at the time.
They’ve has been sampled more than 1500 times and it’s no surprise that they were also one of the first hip hop groups to be very successful overseas.
What is your favorite James Brown and Public Enemy song? Do you remember where you were when you firs heard them?
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25
Continue reading HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF: The Top Two Most Sampled Artists Of All Time!