Most modern music relies heavily on the use of samples, the art of taking a snippet of a pre-existing recording, and working it into a new song.
Over the years we’ve known music to be a highly collaborative effort and more times than not, thanks to technology, the two artists don’t even have to be in the same room.
While we’ve seen some of our favorite musicians dragged to court over improper sampling, in honor of Black Music Month we’re celebrating the top three most samples artists of all time.
Take a look at the two artists whose music you hear more than anybody’s.
James Brown – 3,773 times
The founding father of funk music took 20th century music to new heights with his popular and electrifying performances. So popular in fact, that Dr. Dre, Nas, Jay Z, Kanye, Biggie and The Isley Brothers are just some of the musicians who’ve sampled music from Brown.
In addition to being sampled by a staggering 3,773 times, he also holds the record as the artist to have charted the most singles on the Billboard Hot 100 which did not reach number-one on that chart.
In 2003 Rolling Stone named four of Brown’s albums on their list of 500 Greatest Albums of all Time.
He died on Christmas Day in 2006. He was 73.
Catch the biopic above starring Chadwick Boseman as James Brown, in theaters August 1st.
Public Enemy – 1,528 times
In 1982 Chuck D, Flava Flav, Professor Griff, DJ Lord, Khari Wynn and S1W Group shocked the world with their politically-charged lyrics and opinions of the Black community. Aside from the number of controversial headlines the Long Island group made, their music has lived on long past their early years.
James Brown, Marsha Ambrosius and Stevie Wonder are only a few artists that have dug into the group’s enormous catalog to help assist with their sound.
Proving to be wise beyond their years, both musically and culturally, Public Enemy was famous for being on of the firsts to release MP3-only albums, a feat that was unknown at the time.
They’ve has been sampled more than 1500 times and it’s no surprise that they were also one of the first hip hop groups to be very successful overseas.
What is your favorite James Brown and Public Enemy song? Do you remember where you were when you firs heard them?
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF: The Top Two Most Sampled Artists Of All Time!