The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. once said ‘Justice delayed is justice denied,’ but for the Central Park Five, justice has come at last.
The New York Times is reporting that the City of New York has agreed to a $40 million settlement in the infamous case. In 1989, five Black and Hispanic teenagers were arrested in Central Park and ultimately convicted of the vicious rape and beating of a jogger, later identified as investment banker Tricia Meili, then 28.
The teens, 14-16 at the time, were convicted due to confessions that they later claimed were coerced by overzealous police detectives. While the teens admitted they were in Central Park near the time of the attack, they denied raping Meili, but the resultant media frenzy around the case led to a witch hunt which presumed the teenagers guilty.
Then accused of “wilding” in the park, the case, in a divided New York City, seemed to confirm the worst fears about young Black and Hispanic men. All five teens were convicted in 1990 and released, four after serving seven years and one after serving 13 years.
In 2002, convicted rapist and murderer Matias Reyes, met one of the Central Park Five while in jail. He confessed to the crime and was a DNA match, which proved he was the lone man who perpetuated the attack on Meili, who had no memory of it.
After their exoneration, Rafael Santana, Yusuf Salaam, Kharey Wise, Antron McCray, and Kevin Richardson pursued a civil rights case against the city, which dragged on for years as the Bloomberg administration fought it, saying they believed that police and prosecutors had “acted in good faith and with cause.”
Mayor Bill DiBlasio, elected last year, said one of his priorities was reaching a settlement in the case. A 2012 documentary, The Central Park Five produced by award-winning documentary filmmaker Ken Burns, renewed interest in the case as it was widely believed that although the men had been exonerated, the stigma of the case took its toll on all of them.
Rev. Al Sharpton, who worked with families and supporters to overturn the convictions in the 90’s, says he’s glad that the men have finally been able to enjoy the victory they fought so hard for. “We took a lot of abuse for that, and the toll on these men and their supporters was terrible,” he told the New York Daily News. “I want to know we have things in place so that this doesn’t happen again.”
The proposed settlement equals out to about $1 million for each man for each year they spent in jail, which for Wise would mean that he’ll receive more than any other victorious defendant has in a wrongful conviction case in New York history. According to the Times, settlements of this kind would not usually include any acknowledgement of wrongdoing by the city.
DiBlasio and lawyers for the Central Park Five have yet to comment.
(Photo: YouTube Screenshot from The Central Park Five.)
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31