Part of Zimmerman Defamation Lawsuit Dismissed

Comments: 12  | Leave A Comment
  • advertisement
  • SANFORD, Fla. (AP) — Part of a lawsuit against NBC Universal that claims that the television network defamed George Zimmerman in a 2012 broadcast was thrown out by a Florida judge Thursday, putting the entire litigation in jeopardy.

    Zimmerman’s attorneys waited too long under Florida statute to ask NBC to retract what it claimed were libelous statements in a March 19, 2012, broadcast that they said made their client sound like a racist, Seminole County Circuit Judge Debra Nelson ruled. Zimmerman was not at the hearing.

    The statute requires five days written notice identifying potentially libelous statements. A letter claiming the network edited Zimmerman’s 911 call to police to make it sound like he was a racist was sent to network executives on Dec. 4, 2012.

    Three other NBC broadcasts from March 20, 22 and 27, that included the reference are still in question, but the judge said she had to do more homework on the issues before making a final decision.

    The defamation case had been postponed pending the conclusion of Zimmerman’s murder trial in July 2012. The 30-year-old neighborhood watch volunteer was acquitted of second-degree murder in 17-year-old Trayvon Martin’s February 2012 death in Sanford. The case took on a life of its own, with questions raised about race and Florida’s “stand your ground” defense law.

    1 2Next page »

    Tags: »

    • More Related Content

    Follow

    Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

    Join 2,161 other followers