“R&B Divas: Atlanta” star Monifah said “I do” to the love of her life Terez in an oceanfront Hawaiian ceremony back in February. The reality star managed to keep the details of her wedding low key for four months, but now, she’s finally spilling the beans on the day she became a married woman.
“I was excited,” Monifah told Essence.com about the big day. “I didn’t really have too many nerves. I made up my mind that I wasn’t going to be frazzled and crazy about stuff that was insignificant. Because the bottom line was as along as Terez was there, I was good. That’s all I really cared about. I just cared about my wedding dress, good food, hair and makeup,” she added. “With everything else, I was fine. It could have rained…whatever, as long as I was marrying my best friend. Acceptance is key.”
The intimate ceremony took place at The Modern Hotel in Honolulu. Along with the parents of the brides, Monifah celebrated the occasion with her cast mates Syleena Johnson, Meelah Williams, Angie Stone, LaTavia Roberson and KeKe Wyatt. As far as bridesmaids or a bridal party, she joked, “I’m too old for that!”
“No, just our parents and us. I didn’t want all of that; it would have just been too much,” she shared. “It was very last minute for a wedding. We planned it in a couple of months, and really more like a month and a half.”
When asked about her favorite moment, the new bride said “seeing Terez’s face as I walked towards her.”
“That’s all I saw. I focused on her. I didn’t want to cry, but she was crying so she almost made me cry,” she revealed. “When she saw me, I could tell she was crying too.”
“It’s something I’ve never done before,” Monifah said of married life. “It’s all new and wonderful. My life is merged and my spirit has merged with somebody else.”
Check out pictures from the nuptials below.
Out and Proud Celebrities
25 photos Launch gallery
1. EJ Johnson
1 of 25
2. Robin Roberts announced her sexual orientation on Facebook in 2013. (Photo: AP)
2 of 25
3. CNN Anchor Don Lemon
3 of 25
4. Previously married to a man for seven years, Wanda Sykes officially came out in 2008.
4 of 25
5. NBA player Jason Collins
5 of 25
6. Fitness trainer Shaun T came out in 2013 and married his longtime boyfriend.
6 of 25
7. Michael Sam announced he was gay in an ESPN interview.
7 of 25
8. Singer Meshell Ndegeocello is an open lesbian and huge advocate for gay rights.(PR)
8 of 25
9. Orlando Cruz is the first active, openly gay boxer.
9 of 25
10. Elton John announced he was gay in 1976, and has been openly out since. (PR)
10 of 25
11. Director and Producer Paris Barclay has been with his partner for 14 years. (PR)
11 of 25
12. R&B singer Frank Ocean recently divulged to the world that his first love was a man. (AP)
12 of 25
13. André Leon Talley, fashion icon and editor at Vogue Magazine. (PR)
13 of 25
14. TV personality and hair stylist Miss Lawrence.
14 of 25
15. Singer Melissa Etheridge announced she was a lesbian in 1993 and has been a huge gay rights activist since. (PR)
15 of 25
16. "Precious" and "The Butler" director Lee Daniels
16 of 25
17. Andre Charles or famously known as drag queen RuPaul has been openly gay for many years. (PR)
17 of 25
18. Ellen Degeneres and Portia De Rossi have been married for four years. (PR)
18 of 25
19. Famous Latino singer Ricky Martin finally came out as gay in 2010. (PR)
19 of 25
20. Famous Choreographer Bill T. Jones is openly gay. (PR)
20 of 25
21. Former N'Sync band member Lance Bass announced he was gay in 2006. (PR)
21 of 25
22. "Fast Car" singer Tracy Chapman. (PR)
22 of 25
23. Anderson Cooper came out in an open email to fans. (AP)
23 of 25
24. Celebrity hair Stylist and TV personality Derek J.
24 of 25
25. Catwalk coach Miss J. Alexander.
25 of 25