By now you’ve no doubt heard about “the problem” some folks are having with Beyonce and Jay Z’s two-year-old daughter Blue Ivy‘s not exactly neat looking hair.

In fact, the situation has gotten to the point where some have started a petition at called “Comb Her Hair.” It’s aimed squarely at Blue Ivy’s parents, Beyonce in particular, to comb her hair.

Well, so far Mr. and Mrs. Carter haven’t said peep about the any of the criticism, but according to Essence, Singer India.Arie, a proponent of nappy, er, natural hair, is speaking out in defense of Lil’ miss Blue Ivy’s mane.

The creator of “I Am Not My Hair” writes:

“Why does anyone get the idea that its ok to make fun of a child?
 In public no less? This celebrity culture that hypnotizes people into thinking a person is LITERALLY NOT REAL because you see them on television is a spell the watcher HIM or HER SELF MUST BREAK. Blue Ivy — is a CHILD. And ANYONE thinking to themselves right now: “But she was born with a silver spoon in her mouth so what does it matter what I say” — Denying ANY PERSON their humanity, is a GAME we should ALL stop playing. WHY? Because it’s the kind of PERSON YOU WANT TO BE. Why NOT be a person who is loving towards human kind as a whole AND people as individuals?
 WHY NOT be a person protects the hearts of children? I think! all these people making negative comments would feel the SAME WAY if Blue Ivy’s hair were TOO DONE. If she had a relaxer, of Hair pulled too tight at the edges. Being gentle with a child’s hair is simply appropriate – this goes the same for ALL children. Come ya’ll Lol Were ARE better than this.”

So what do you think?

Like on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.

10 thoughts on “India Arie Writes Open Letter to Blue Ivy Hair Critics

1. hottlanta on said:

Here hair is a mess. If Beyoncé name was Tecquinka in the hood folks would be calling her ghetto and unfit parent the whole 9 yards. But because it’s Beyoncé her hair is nice. I bet they take their dogs to get their hair groomed so what is the problem with getting Blue Ivy hair groomed. They got all of that money and can’t even get a bog of combs from the dollar store for her head.

2. Lisa M on said:

Why did they say nappy then natural hair? We as black people can be our worst enemy. I have been natural almost 2 years and it’s funny how white people love it. I will also say a lot of black women give me compliments. My black husband tells me he has to get used to it….Really. Some are really brainwashed by the perms and weaves. Don’t get me wrong I have nothing against either as I had a perm for 15 years. I would just think we would embrace our natural side.

3. Janet Mercer on said:

Comb the child hair, it doesn’t matter that she is a child. It does look awful and for all of you who thinks folks are picking on the child, that is not the case, why are you not combing the child hair. If you can’t comb it yourself, your mother was a beautican. She looks like an orphan, for someone who spends all that money on her own hair but won’t put a comb through her own girl child hair is insulting. If she can’t comb it, hire someone who can. It is not a matter of picking on the child. As for all of those who scared to really say what you really want to say because of the self imposed attending seeking Fake Queen Bee, may scratch you off your talk show, she dont’ come on it anyway.

• Janet: Your grammar is horrible, and to the point that it’s embarrassing. I would be more concerned with the way I speak, and write….than worrying about someone’s hair

• Rhemas Place on said:

Joy, thank you so much! Janet is in no position to cast stones on anyone…her grammar is atrocious! She should have stayed in the closet.

4. straightnochaser on said:

Now the creator of this ridiculous petition is now saying it was only a ‘joke.’ Amazing how it became a ‘joke’ after the public went HAM on her dumb azz!