ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — A judge has postponed until September the trial of five remaining defendants charged in the hazing death of a Florida A&M University drum major to allow defense attorneys more time to prepare.
Judge Renee Roche agreed during a hearing Monday to delay it the trial that was set to begin next week until Sept. 22. Attorneys for three defendants asked the judge for a continuance, citing difficulty taking depositions of potential prosecution witnesses.
Fifteen former band members were charged with manslaughter and hazing in the November 2011 death of Robert Champion of Decatur, Georgia. Seven accepted plea deals of community service and probation for what prosecutors called minor roles.
Jessie Baskin pleaded no contest and was sentenced to a year in jail in March.
The Divine Nine: Our Favorite Celebrity Men In Fraternities
1. Terrence J and Omari HardwickSource:Instagram 1 of 21
2. Christian Keyes - Alpha Phi AlphaSource:Instagram 2 of 21
3. Roland Martin - Alpha Phi AlphaSource:Courtesy 3 of 21
4. Jerry Rice: Phi Beta Sigma4 of 21
5. Cedric the Entertainer- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity5 of 21
6. The "Flyjock" Tom Joyner - Omega Psi Phi6 of 21
7. Hill Harper- Alpha Phi Alpha7 of 21
8. Joe Torry- Omega Psi Phi8 of 21
9. Ryan Howard- Phi Beta Sigma9 of 21
10. AJ Calloway- Omega Psi Phi10 of 21
11. Stuart Scott- Alpha Phi Alpha11 of 21
12. Michael Jordan- Omega Psi Phi12 of 21
13. Dr. Martin Luther King- Alpha Phi Alpha13 of 21
14. Marvin Sapp- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity14 of 21
15. Bill Cosby- Omega Psi Phi15 of 21
16. Lionel Richie- Alpha Phi Alpha16 of 21
17. Keenan Ivory Wayans- Alpha Phi Alpha17 of 21
18. Kurt Carr: Phi Beta Sigma18 of 21
19. Rev. Jesse Jackson- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity19 of 21
20. Montell Jordan- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity20 of 21
21. Rickey Smiley- Omega Psi Phi21 of 21
(Photo Source: AP)