CLEVELAND (AP) — Six Cleveland police officers charged for their roles in a November 2012 car chase that ended with a hail of 137 gunshots and the deaths of two unarmed suspects pleaded not guilty Friday to various crimes.
The six officers were arraigned in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court and were released on bond.
Patrolman Michael Brelo faces the most serious charges, two counts of manslaughter, in the deaths of the driver, 43-year-old Timothy Russell, and his 30-year-old passenger, Malissa Williams.
Brelo, 30, is accused of jumping on the hood of Russell’s car after the initial salvo and unloading his weapon, firing 15 rounds that have been described as fatal to Russell and Williams. Brelo fired a total of 49 rounds that night.
Russell was shot 23 times and Williams 24 times. No gun was found on them or in the vehicle. The chase began when an officer thought he heard a gunshot from a car speeding by the police and courts complex, jumped into his patrol car and radioed for help. Police don’t know why Russell didn’t stop.
Five supervisors have been charged with dereliction of duty, a misdemeanor, for failing to control officers. Cleveland safety officials have said 104 of the 277 officers on duty that night participated in the chase, which covered 20 miles over 23 minutes and reached speeds of 110 mph.
Attorney Patrick D’Angelo spoke after Friday’s arraignment on behalf of the attorneys representing the six officers.
D’Angelo, who is one of three attorneys representing Brelo, asked people not rush to judgment about what occurred on Nov. 29, 2012.
“We intend to fight this case,” he said. “We feel the officers all acted within the bounds of the law are not guilty of these charges.”
The killings in the parking lot of a suburban Cleveland elementary school have been decried as a racially motivated execution — both victims were black — and are part of a larger federal investigation into the troubled police department.
U.S. Department of Justice is investigating the Cleveland Police Department’s policies governing vehicle pursuits and the use of deadly force. The department changed its pursuit policy after the episode, limiting when and how long patrol cars can chase suspects. Five dozen cars were involved in the chase.
An investigation by the Ohio attorney general blamed police leadership and communications failures for what happened. County prosecutor Tim McGinty said investigating the chase was complicated by the fact that Cleveland cruisers don’t have video cameras.
City officials recently announced that a pilot program is underway to equip officers with body cameras.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
(Photo Source: AP)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25