Shawn McCurtain, a White Des Moines, Iowa, high school teacher, is accused of reportedly asking his Black student Jabre White (pictured) to respond to him by saying, “Yes Sir, Master,” according to The Des Moines Register.
The alleged incident occurred while McCurtain was in the process of directing his students to go to an economics class on a lower floor within the school’s building. The youths were reportedly on their way to take a final exam. According to White, after receiving the instructions from McCurtain, he responded to the teacher by saying “Yes, Sir.” The educator, then allegedly corrected White by stating that what he should have said instead was “Yes Sir, Master.”
White, who is a senior at Roosevelt High School, was highly offended by McCurtain’s alleged racist response. The youth quickly retorted, “Who the f**k are you talking to? You’re nobody’s master and this is not slave days.”
When White’s mother, Nicholle (pictured), got wind of what had reportedly taken place at the school, she was appalled and hurt by the racist comment. Nicholle says she contacted the school’s officials with regards to the bias, and after an investigation, they reportedly deemed White’s allegations as factual.
So why aren’t school officials informing the family as to how the matter will be handled?
Nicholle is upset by the fact that while the incident has been verified, she and her family have not been told how the unnamed teacher will be disciplined — if at all — and this is troubling to them.
According to the school’s principal, Principal Joseph Blazevich, who sent Nicholle an e-mail, disciplinary measures against school personnel cannot be publicly disclosed due to state law. Phil Roeder, a spokesperson for the school district, told the Des Moines Register that any form of bias is frowned upon by the school system, including comments made by a teacher, “To put it mildly, it was wrong in every way you look at it,” he said.
But Roeder also confirmed that McCurtain is still employed by the district.
Nicholle suspects the incident was sloughed off and nothing was really done to check McCurtain’s behavior. The Mom feels the teacher is in dire need of diversity training for his insensitive comment, and if he has already taken a course, then he needs a refresher.
Meanwhile, McCurtain reportedly called Nicholle to apologize, but she felt it was an insincere move. The irate Mom plans on contacting the Iowa Civil Rights Commission and the NAACP.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading White Teacher Tells Black Student To Respond With ‘Yes Sir, Master’