MIAMI (AP) — An American Indian tribe that believes the Washington Redskins’ nickname is racist and should be changed has purchased a 60-second ad to air during halftime of Game 3 of the NBA Finals.
The ad was slotted for the Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York, Sacramento, San Francisco and Washington markets Tuesday night. It aired in Miami during Game 2 of the series.
The Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation of northern California purchased the time for the airing of a 60-second version of the National Congress of American Indians’ “Proud To Be” ad. A longer version is available online.
“Native Americans call themselves many things,” a man’s voice says on the commercial. “The one thing they don’t … ”
The voice then tails off, and an image of the Redskins’ helmet on the ground next to a football appears, followed by a mention of the web site ChangeTheMascot.org.
“The ‘Change the Mascot’ movement is larger than Yocha Dehe or any one tribe,” said James Kinter, the Tribal Secretary of the Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation. “It’s about all tribal people and non-tribal people raising their voices in protest.”
Debate over the usage of the Redskins’ name has raged for some time, as has criticism of all Indian-themed mascots in sports. Redskins owner Daniel Snyder has called the name a “badge of honor” in the past.
Crossing over the football debate into the NBA Finals should, if nothing else, guarantee plenty of viewers. More than 15 million people tuned in for Game 2 of the NBA Finals, which typically outdraws all other programming on game nights.
“It doesn’t surprise me,” Miami forward Shane Battier said. “It makes sense that the highest-rated television program in June would attract such attention. I don’t mind using the NBA for positive social change. I think we have a responsibility with our platform for positive social change.”
For his part, Battier is not a fan of the nickname.
“If there are Native American tribes who find that term offensive, and they’ve voiced their expression of discontent for the name, I think there should be a move to change it,” Battier said. “If everyone in the Native American world looked at ‘Redskins’ as a sign of respect, I would be OK with it, but if it is a slanderous and hurtful term for people, it needs to be changed.”
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
(Photo Source: AP)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25