Record players, cassette tapes, and radio…if you love music and you’re grown and sexy, these were all conduits for the hits that we will never forget.
As we kick of Black Music Month, I got to thinking about songs that were part of my life. It’s difficult to hear a song without it taking you back to where you were when you heard it.
Whether it’s your first crush or your first break up, from the first day of high school or packing for college, your wedding day, jamming with your kid or the day your divorce was final, Black Music is what brings us to a common place no matter where we’re from.
Who knows why as a little girl, “One In a Million You” by Larry Graham”caught my ear? But it did and it’s still one of my favorite songs. In fact, if you claim to really know me and don’t know that, I might look at you side-eyed.
When Michael Jackson died five years ago this month, my relationship with him real or imagined, became even more special. The first album I ever owned was “Off the Wall.” Before the rumors, the allegations, the plastic surgery I remember that cute, shy boy in a tux and I still blush.
If my kids had known the Whitney Houston I knew in the 80s and 90s they would have understood why I found it so utterly unbelievable when she passed away. “Saving All My Love for You,” I’m Every Woman, “ “I’m Your Baby, Tonight,” “Shoop,” “My Love is Your Love, “I Will Always Love You.” All classics and each one will be on what every music device I’ll ever own.
But for me, the best songs of all time are the ones that ring in summer. I asked people their favorite summer songs and Hot Fun in the Summer Time by Sly and the Family Stone, Summer Madness by Kool and the Gang, and Summer Breeze by the Isley Brothers, all were named multiple times. But the number one song and my favorite as well was Summertime by Will Smith& D.J. Jazzy Jeff. Each of these songs conjure up memories of last days of school, family cook outs, picnics at the park, drive-in movies, and hide & seek (or hide & go get it) at dusk. Already are kids are developing the playlists of their lives and we can only hope that over the years, their music will bring back memories of more good stuff than bad. So, what’s the music that’s been important in your life?
Let’s celebrate it together. Happy Black Music Month!
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25