Record players, cassette tapes, and radio…if you love music and you’re grown and sexy, these were all conduits for the hits that we will never forget.
As we kick of Black Music Month, I got to thinking about songs that were part of my life. It’s difficult to hear a song without it taking you back to where you were when you heard it.
Whether it’s your first crush or your first break up, from the first day of high school or packing for college, your wedding day, jamming with your kid or the day your divorce was final, Black Music is what brings us to a common place no matter where we’re from.
Who knows why as a little girl, “One In a Million You” by Larry Graham”caught my ear? But it did and it’s still one of my favorite songs. In fact, if you claim to really know me and don’t know that, I might look at you side-eyed.
When Michael Jackson died five years ago this month, my relationship with him real or imagined, became even more special. The first album I ever owned was “Off the Wall.” Before the rumors, the allegations, the plastic surgery I remember that cute, shy boy in a tux and I still blush.
If my kids had known the Whitney Houston I knew in the 80s and 90s they would have understood why I found it so utterly unbelievable when she passed away. “Saving All My Love for You,” I’m Every Woman, “ “I’m Your Baby, Tonight,” “Shoop,” “My Love is Your Love, “I Will Always Love You.” All classics and each one will be on what every music device I’ll ever own.
But for me, the best songs of all time are the ones that ring in summer. I asked people their favorite summer songs and Hot Fun in the Summer Time by Sly and the Family Stone, Summer Madness by Kool and the Gang, and Summer Breeze by the Isley Brothers, all were named multiple times. But the number one song and my favorite as well was Summertime by Will Smith& D.J. Jazzy Jeff. Each of these songs conjure up memories of last days of school, family cook outs, picnics at the park, drive-in movies, and hide & seek (or hide & go get it) at dusk. Already are kids are developing the playlists of their lives and we can only hope that over the years, their music will bring back memories of more good stuff than bad. So, what’s the music that’s been important in your life?
Let’s celebrate it together. Happy Black Music Month!
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25