Are Baltimore teenagers – many of whom are African-American – now under the equivalent of house arrest? Teenagers and children in Baltimore are preparing to experience one of the strictest curfews in the nation. Opponents say these kids will be on city-wide lock down, which will cause even more problems for residents and police.

The new law — which was approved by the city council and has the support of Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake (pictured) — requires children under 14 to be home by 9 p.m. year-round.

Teenagers 14 to 16 years old would have a curfew of 10 p.m. on weeknights during the school year and 11 p.m. on weekends. The curfews are among the earliest curfews in the nation. The new law also imposes a daytime curfew during school hours — 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. — restricting youth under 16 from being in public places or stores when they should be in school.

“We did that because it’s just old-school common sense,” Councilman Brandon Scott, the bill’s lead supporter, said. “If you’re going to ask young people to be up and ready for school at 6:30, 7 o’clock in the morning, then they should not be out at 11 p.m. at night.”

1 2Next page »

17 thoughts on “COMMENTARY: Is Baltimore Mayor Right To Support Curfew Targeting Black Teens?

1. ambientbake on said:

Until blacks can in general develop and maintain strong 2 parent households for the benefit of their children and start valuing and appreciating education, there will always be trouble with, and for, the blacks of this country.

2. Linda on said:

The Mayor is right. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS WATCH THE SHOWTIME DOCUMENTARY 12 O’CLOCK BOYS AND THE MOTIVATION IS THERE FOR THE DECISION. Baltimore youth are in trouble.

3. I wish my area would do that! the midnight summer curfew is ridiculous – and ignored. All night these rugrats make noise all hours of the night, and cops have better things to do than babysit. But I don’t understand how parents let their 10 year olds or younger run around in the dark! My mom said, “be in this house before the street lights come on”. It’s too easy to snatch a kid these days and parents are dropping he ball with discipline and security. 9pm curfew is not harsh, but parents let their kids run the streets so they don’t have to deal with them. Don’t become a parent if you don’t want the job!!

4. B more Alum on said:

As a TJMS X mas Wish alum I couldn’t wait to get the h@ out of B more!!!!! My friends all left me years ago when they said Section 8 thugs were being moved around me to give their baby mamas better access to schools etc. My daughters graduated from GREAT B more high schools (all girls Westerna dn School for the Arts). Well MAYORS how did that work out for you??? B more will ALWAYS be hugsville because PARENTS are thugs. Everytime I dealt with a thugged out child their parents were FOOLS!!! This curfew needs to be for the PARENTS who keep raising thugs. These kids want to do better be better!!!! So lets see you set a curfew to make them go home earlier to BAD ROLE MODELS???????? Maybe in the street they actually hung with kids with GREAT PARENTS!!!! I don’t miss B more at all……….

5. Mac Ben on said:

…so the measure does not just target black youth like the headline suggests…?; why is this article race-baiting? The measure is a great idea! Kids SHOULD be home at those hours anyway- I know I had to be as a kid!

6. seriously on said:

Hell yes! Baltimore is right…These children our predators and dangerous for everyone else and the reason Baltimore had to step in, is because the parents of these children are not and will not parent their children. Why should innocent people become the victims of these kids. These kids and their parents have no empathy or compassion for anyone. These are the trash of Black America, they are so morally bankrupt…no one can help them and they will destroy anyone that tries. Black America should help those stuck there by financial circumstances. Not the trash that surrounds them! Gangs and drug dealers have committed a genocides in our communities. And they have spared no one man, woman, child, elderly, babies etc…So we should not spare them!

7. Debbie on said:

I live in Baltimore. I am so pissed that people think it is wrong for young people to be in the house atcertain time. Don’t people want to know where their children are? !4 thru 17 year olds have nothing to do outside late at night. Not sure why so many people are up in the air about this. I have 2 girls, 22 and 30. When they were 14 thru 17 their asses had better been in the house. PERIOD!!! There is something for you to do. Homework, dishes, dust tables, clean bathrooms, wash our clothes(that’s right ours, I provide the washer, dryer, soap powder, bleach, and dryer sheets). I just don’t get it. It ain’t a bad thing. They way the white police are abusing them, and the black people are killing them, I actually think I would want my babies in the house raising them to be self-sufficient adults for society. People don’t want to be bothered with their kids and that is sad. Sad!!!

8. Tony on said:

Let’s be clear. This law comes about because parents aren’t willing to parent their child. They’re too interested in being their friend.

9. The same rules I had growing up. The only difference is they weren’t called curfews and they were enforced by parents not the law.

10. What alternatives are those who are opposed to the curfew proposing? Until they come up with something more affective I’m all for it. Let’s give it a year and look to see if murder/crime rates drop… time will tell.

11. IanRousseault on said:

YES! Absolutely! You have to do whatever it takes to stop the violence in these neighborhoods. Since the people who live in the hood can’t seem to get their heads out of their asses and live like human beings, then the government must take over and impose whatever it wants to! These uneducated animals have no self respect for themselves, their families or their communities! And that’s extremely sad and disturbing!

12. While I do not agree with the comments from Mr. Valdez, my concern is why are the Parents not stepping up. Why is your 14 year old CHILD hanging out past 10 O’clock period. They should have their collective BUTTS in the house preparing for school, not hanging out with the probability of getting into trouble. Parents please raise your children or the street will!!!