The annual show, hosted this year by director and screenwriter John Waters, draws a mix of fashion insiders and Hollywood. This year, Rihanna was clearly the big name, along with an even newer fashion star: Oscar-winning actress Lupita Nyong’o, who presented the womenswear award. Others in attendance included actresses Marion Cotillard, Blake Lively and Emmy Rossum. models Naomi Campbell and Coco Rocha, singer/actress Jennifer Hudson, and Vogue editor Anna Wintour were also there.
Speaking of Rihanna before the show, designer Zac Posen called the pop star a fashion risk-taker, who skillfully melds red-carpet glamour with a rebellious streak. Rihanna’s choice for Monday’s event of a sparkling, revealing, body-hugging gown, designed by Adam Selman, epitomized Posen’s description.
“She takes risks and she marches to her own drum and she knows what she likes,” Posen told The Associated Press in an interview. He recalled meeting the singer at his studio before she launched her first album.
“She was a fashion world novice then,” he said, “but obviously she had looks and confidence and little-girl charm. All the ingredients were there for her to be a huge superstar: ambition, strength, and also vulnerability.” Rihanna’s occasional use of shock value, he said, “has kept her current, and balanced how classically beautiful she is.”
Rihanna also has a great appreciation for designers, Posen added: “That’s why people love to dress her.”
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Super Hot Black Models
20 photos Launch gallery
1. Jessica White was discovered at age 13 and landed her first job modeling for Vogue.
1 of 20
2. Tyson Beckford is an American fashion model best known for his days on the Ralph Lauren runway.
2 of 20
3. Selita Ebanks is a Cayman born British model and actress best known for her days as a Victoria's Secret Angel.
3 of 20
4. Kimora Lee Simmons is a former fashion model. She began her career at age 14 with a modeling contract with Chanel.
4 of 20
5. Jourdan Dunn was discovered in 2006 and became the first black woman to walk the Prada runway in 2008.
5 of 20
6. Eva Marcille is a fashion model who is best known for winning the third cycle of America's Next Top Model.
6 of 20
7. Bre Scullark is signed to Ford models and is known for her time spent on America's Next Top Model.
7 of 20
8. Naomi Sims began her career as the first Black supermodel. (Photo: EURweb.com)
8 of 20
9. Michael Baisden Is Bringing His Family To The 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion
9 of 20
10. Beverly Johnson made history when she appeared on the cover of Vogue. (AP)
10 of 20
11. Businesswoman, actress and model Iman was a favorite with top designers. (AP)
11 of 20
12. Tyra Banks was the first Black to grace the cover of S.I. (AP)
12 of 20
13. Supermodel Naomi Campbell began modeling at the age of 15. (AP)
13 of 20
14. Sudanese supermodel Alek Wek was discovered when she was 18. (AP)
14 of 20
15. Ethiopian born model Liya Kebede has had a very successful career as model. (AP)
15 of 20
16. Chanel Iman perhaps best known for her work for Victoria's Secret. (AP)
16 of 20
17. Joan Smalls ranked #2 model in the world according to models.com. (AP)
17 of 20
18. Model Sessilee Lopez has a Dominican and Portuguess background. (AP)
18 of 20
19. Roshumba also appreared in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. (AP)
19 of 20
20. Michael Baisden Is Bringing His Family To The 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion
20 of 20
« Previous page 1 2