Young people have always been leaders of change within the movement. Despite being thought of as the unengaged generation, there are millennials who are changing that perception as they attempt to change laws and policies.
Last year after the verdict in the George Zimmerman murder trial, a group of Florida students called The Dream Defenders decided to hold a sit-in at the Florida capitol. The purpose of the meeting was to demand a meeting with Governor Rick Scott to discuss the protection of young men of color among other issues.
It was something that caught the attention of so many people, not because this was action around civil rights issues, but because these were young people who many had decried as being shiftless and unengaged. Yet, here were these young people who were organizing, strategizing and causing quite a stir, in addition to setting an example for other young people across the country.
Though they weren’t able to accomplish their intended goal, they were able to spark a conversation about young people and their role within the civil rights movement of today. Education in the State of New Jersey is in a state of crisis. Students in several cities – largely the poorest and most troubled cities in the state — have been walking out, demanding more from the government relating to their education, and calling for justice in the school system.
I had the opportunity to spend time with the students in my hometown of Camden, NJ as they rallied in front of Camden’s City Hall. It’s an awakening like nothing I’ve seen in the city before. Nearly 1,000 students walked out of their schools recently after teachers were laid off in an attempt to close traditional public schools and open a full charter education system. The students, parents, teachers and supporters turned out again to host a formal rally to announce their intent to meet with New Jersey Governor Chris Christie.
Whether they meet with Christie or not, and regardless if he gives more funding to the school district, these young people have changed their circumstances by doing one thing – acting on their frustration. If there was ever a time that we needed action, it is now. There are far too many issues for us to contend to have people think they can solve them with complacency and complaining. None of us can make change without the support of those standing behind us. More than anything, today’s youth need a little bit of direction but little interference.
As we continue to face changes in policies and laws that will undoubtedly put the future of our rights in jeopardy if we don’t act, this type of awakening is just what we need to see and will make all the difference in the end.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30