Nas is putting his money where the future is, investing in a company that assists college graduates as they look to enter the workforce.
The hip-hop legend is teaming up with Koru, a Seattle-based company whose mission is making sure the up-and-coming workforce is prepared for the jobs that are out there, reports Forbes magazine.
The13-time Grammy nominee, respected actor and businessman has invested over $100,000 in the company, establishing a scholarship to help grow the number of students participating in the program.
Steve Simbert, a Georgetown University class of 2015 graduate and Marixa Rodriguez, an Occidental University class of 2014 graduate have been chosen as the first two recipients of the Nas Scholarship Fund.
In addition to his investment, Nas will also serve as a coach to these students, giving advice and sharing his wisdom from years in business.
“I’m inspired to support Koru participants because I know how hard it can be to carve out your path and purpose in life” said the musician. “I can’t wait to work directly with them and share what I’ve learned through my own life experiences.”
As of today, 100 students have completed the program, and the company says that number will double by the end of summer. With Nas’ new investment, Koru is looking to increase that number further, which helps continue the company’s mission, as well as adds a future revenue stream (assuming they land jobs after completion). The company is hoping that their celebrity endorsement will help them partner with new brands looking to expand their young staffs.
Founders Kristen Hamilton and Josh Jarrett joined together to help fill the enormous gap between what students are ready for when they leave the classroom and what the workforce actually demands.
If chosen, students are connected with established, growing firms (Koru has already placed students with zulily, Payscale, REI and more) and go through what the company calls a four week “bootcamp.” While in the Koru program, participants spend part of their time doing real work at their assigned company, learning from CEOs and managers, and also in the Koru offices reflecting on what they’ve learned and practicing the skills they will need when placed, so as not to mess up when it really counts.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.
(Photo Source: PR Photos)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25