By his own account, which police are calling a manifesto, 22-year-old Elliot Rodger had been planning his murder suicide attack for at least five years, since he was 17 years old.
His parents say from childhood he suffered from mild autism and was socially awkward.
They knew he was dealing with depression.
His postings on his social media pages reflected it.
But they never expected anything like the horror that played out late Friday night when Rodger went on a killing rampage in Isla Vista, California.
Seven people including Rodger would end up dead, 14 others would be injured.
Some were stabbed, some were shot and some were hit by Rodger’s car.
Rodger’s family tried to help.
They even consulted with someone from a mental health agency.
Someone from the mental health agency requested police check on the young man’s welfare.
So just last month after that consultation and after seeing the social media posts alluding to suicide and killing people his parents contacted police.
But the family could not do much because when police arrived Roger told the deputies that it was a big misunderstanding.
He promised he wasn’t going to hurt anyone.
The deputy told CNN that Rodger was articulate, polite, even timid during their visit.
And from my personal experience that is usually the case with those who hide their mental health issues from friends and coworkers.
I dealt with it recently for five years in a relationship.
To this day, no one other than me and a few family members know.
And it appears to be the case with Elliot Rodger.
He tormented those closest to him while putting on a much different face to the public.
And if there is nothing in someone’s outward behavior that suggests violence there is very little legally that a parent, a spouse or a friend can do to intervene.
So, police left Rodger’s home last month without even searching it or taking him into custody.
It’s just how it is.
It’s the law.
It’s the law that allowed a mentally unstable young man to purchase three different handguns and over 400 rounds of ammunition in three different cities.
It’s the law that kept his family from putting their son where he belonged in the first place, under observation or into custody.
Before he killed all those people Elliot Roger wrote about his fear of being discovered when deputies came to his home at his patent’s request.
At the end of a 137 page account of his life he wrote, “I had the striking and devastating fear that someone had somehow discovered what I was planning to do, and reported me for it. If it was the case the police would have searched my room, found all of my guns and weapons, along with my writings about what I plan to do with them. I would have been thrown in jail, denied of the chance to exact revenge on my enemies. I can’t imagine the hell darker than that.”
Now Rodger’s hell has been forced upon the victims, their families and even his own.
But with his kind of paranoia and secrecy I’m not sure what any parent or loved one could have done to help.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading DON LEMON: How Much Can A Loved One Do To Save A Mentally Ill Family Member?