By his own account, which police are calling a manifesto, 22-year-old Elliot Rodger had been planning his murder suicide attack for at least five years, since he was 17 years old.
His parents say from childhood he suffered from mild autism and was socially awkward.
They knew he was dealing with depression.
His postings on his social media pages reflected it.
But they never expected anything like the horror that played out late Friday night when Rodger went on a killing rampage in Isla Vista, California.
Seven people including Rodger would end up dead, 14 others would be injured.
Some were stabbed, some were shot and some were hit by Rodger’s car.
Rodger’s family tried to help.
They even consulted with someone from a mental health agency.
Someone from the mental health agency requested police check on the young man’s welfare.
So just last month after that consultation and after seeing the social media posts alluding to suicide and killing people his parents contacted police.
But the family could not do much because when police arrived Roger told the deputies that it was a big misunderstanding.
He promised he wasn’t going to hurt anyone.
The deputy told CNN that Rodger was articulate, polite, even timid during their visit.
And from my personal experience that is usually the case with those who hide their mental health issues from friends and coworkers.
I dealt with it recently for five years in a relationship.
To this day, no one other than me and a few family members know.
And it appears to be the case with Elliot Rodger.
He tormented those closest to him while putting on a much different face to the public.
And if there is nothing in someone’s outward behavior that suggests violence there is very little legally that a parent, a spouse or a friend can do to intervene.
So, police left Rodger’s home last month without even searching it or taking him into custody.
It’s just how it is.
It’s the law.
It’s the law that allowed a mentally unstable young man to purchase three different handguns and over 400 rounds of ammunition in three different cities.
It’s the law that kept his family from putting their son where he belonged in the first place, under observation or into custody.
Before he killed all those people Elliot Roger wrote about his fear of being discovered when deputies came to his home at his patent’s request.
At the end of a 137 page account of his life he wrote, “I had the striking and devastating fear that someone had somehow discovered what I was planning to do, and reported me for it. If it was the case the police would have searched my room, found all of my guns and weapons, along with my writings about what I plan to do with them. I would have been thrown in jail, denied of the chance to exact revenge on my enemies. I can’t imagine the hell darker than that.”
Now Rodger’s hell has been forced upon the victims, their families and even his own.
But with his kind of paranoia and secrecy I’m not sure what any parent or loved one could have done to help.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25