And yet, it was only a week ago that a bunch of sourpuss, Bible-toting but not necessarily comprehending Black pastors were out making the media rounds to declare that “the fight is on.” Yes, Pastor Ronald Caldwell of Burnette Inspiration Baptist Church of Detroit told a flock of fools that when it comes to supporters of gay marriage, “You are my enemy! Anybody that’s an enemy of God is an enemy of mine. And now the fight is on! We’ve come together to say, ‘Hell no. We’re not going to sit back.’”
Now, this is a man who lives in Detroit, a city which far more serious matters to concern itself with besides whether two gays get married. One would think a Christian pastor in a poverty-stricken town would know this. After all, Jesus thought poverty was a big no-no, so he’d probably be more inclined to tell his flock to go after the Koch Brothers than your gay uncle and lesbian auntie. Unfortunately, that’d be too much like right, now wouldn’t it, saints?
No? Well, I’d like to extend another hell no to Rev. Stacey Swimp of Flint, Michigan, who told the audience that same-sex marriage will “destroy the backbone of our society.” What great society is she trying to salvage? The one that doesn’t value her life as a woman, as a Black person, and especially as a Black woman?
That reminds me, I sure hope Swimp wasn’t on her menstrual cycle when she was condemning the gays. You know, given “the Bible says…” something to the effect of, “Eww, nasty woman!” in its text on that issue. Funny, how we pick and choose what to believe, huh?
Meanwhile, White pastors like Rev. Rex Evans, pastor of Free Will Baptist Church in Ypsilanti, Michigan, are joining them in the right. On the big bad gay marriage trend, Evans claims, “We love everybody, but we don’t love the (gay) lifestyle. It’s time to take our nation back.”
A White man talking about “taking our nation back.” Sound familiar? I thought so, which is why I’m unsure why Black Christians would be tagging themselves into this fight. After all, Christian dogma was once used against them. How soon we forget.
Enter the very much Black Rev. Rader Johnson of Greater Bibleway Temple in Bay City, Michigan, who said, “We believe in the Judeo-Christian conception on which America was founded upon.” So the slaughter of indigenous people and the enslavement of millions of Africans? Point and laugh, everyone. Rev. Rader earned it.
Frankly, there’s no sense in being too upset about this. All of the aforementioned will be remembered as nothing more than relics of ignorance and intolerance. Nonetheless, I’m just going to sit here and sing Mia X’s “You Don’t Want 2 Go To War.” This fight is almost over and it’s pretty evident which side is going to win.
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25
Continue reading Anti-Gay Black Pastors Say You’re Their Enemy If You Support Marriage Equality