While even the most strategic writers often find it hard to complete their first book,
With a last name like “Content” do you suppose being a writer was in the stars for this teen?
In a report by CBS 2’s Cindy Hsu, Angela’s mother said she knew her ambitious daughter wanted to share her stories with the world.
“At first she said, ‘Mommy, I’m going to write a book. I’m writing my own book.’ I said, ‘OK.’ She said, ‘I’m going to publish it.’ I said, ‘OK,’” recalled Marie Content.
But Angela’s mother was shocked when it actually happened.
“And then finally one day she said: ‘Mommy, my book is going to publish. I already transmitted everything — it’s going to take 24 hours, they’re going to review it. I said, ‘OK,’” Marie Content said, still treating her daughter’s determination rather nonchalantly.
“And then the next day, I heard it’s on Amazon. I’m like, ‘Oh my God!’”
Through the website CreateSpace, the determined eighth grader published two books – her sci-fi fantasy “Awake and Alive,” and her romance novel “Shattered.” They are now on sale on several sites, including Amazon and Barnes & Noble.
“I was just excited,” Angela said. “I was like, ‘I’m so glad it’s over with.’ It was really, really hard.”
It takes Angela about three months to finish a book. Her latest work is more than 200 pages – and she always writes by hand because she says it helps her stories to flow.
“Whatever pops in my head, I just continue writing it,” Angela said. “It just flows on paper. On the computer, I just kind of get stuck.
The strict house rules laid down by Angela’s mother of very limited TV watching and Internet surfing helped her daughter fall in love with books and writing.
“I wish all the parents can do the same — keep the electronic stuff away from the kids and talk to them more; hear what they have to say,” Marie content said.
And Angela has advice for other kids.
“Continue to follow your dreams,” she said. “You’re going to feel great once you actually accomplish what you set your mind to.”
Already, Angela is working on two more books, which she hopes to have published by this summer.
While Angela plans to keep writing, she has another goal to become a financial planner – as a backup.
So far, Angela said she has made a few hundred dollars from book sales, and that money goes straight to her college fund.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.
(Photo Source: CBS2)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25