Benjamin O. Davis Jr. was the first Black general of the United States Air Force, following in the similar footsteps to his father, Benjamin O. Davis Sr., who was the first Black general of the United States Army.
Davis was born on December 18, 1912, in Washington, D.C., the second of three children born to his parents. His father served 41 years prior to achieving the rank of general in 1940, and that dedication inspired the younger Davis to pursue his dreams. According to historian Alan Gropman, Davis’ path to greatness was forged early on.
As a teen, Davis’ father took him to a barnstorming pilot at the Bolling Air Field in Washington, inspiring the young boy’s dreams of becoming an Air Force pilot. General Davis graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York, in 1936, becoming the only the fourth African American to do so.
Davis endured heavy racism at the academy, and higher-ups only spoke to him as needed. The isolation didn’t break him, however, and he went on to earn his wings in 1942. The next year, he was sent to North Africa to fly with the 99th Fighter Squadron. He was also the first officer to receive his wings at the Tuskegee Army Air Field.
Davis went on to lead the 332d Fighter Group, better known as the Tuskegee Airmen, facing barriers from White officers who didn’t feel the all-Black unit was fit for combat. Proving naysayers wrong when the squadron arrived in Italy in the thick of World War II, the “Red Tails” showed their worth and more. Later, Davis led the all-Black 477th Bombardment Group out of Kentucky.
Because of Davis’ prowess as a pilot and the success of the Black squadrons he led, then-President Harry Truman signed an executive order to fully integrate the armed forces. The Air Force was the first branch to fully embrace the order. After serving in several capacities at the highest levels of the Air Force, Davis would retire from the branch in 1970. He went on to supervise the federal air marshal program, which was instrumental in preventing airplane hijackings and went on to work for the Department of Transportation.
Then-president Bill Clinton awarded Davis with the rank of general on December 9, 1998. Davis passed away four years later on Independence Day in 2002 at the age of 89.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25