Should bullying be a criminal offense? Lawmakers in a California city decided it isn’t, defeating a proposed anti-bullying law on Tuesday, KTLA 5 reports.
The ordinance, if passed, would have made the city of Carson the first in the state to outlaw bullying.
It would have criminalized bullying anyone between kindergarten-age and 25 years old. It defined bullying as a “willful course of conduct which involves harassment,” behavior that would, “cause a reasonable person to feel terrorized, frightened, intimidated, threatened, harassed or molested.”
Councilman Mike Gipson sponsored the bill in response to nationwide headlines about bullying and cyber-bullying. “We have young people that are committing suicide because they’ve been bullied in school,” Gipson said. “We’re saying enough is enough and we’re drawing the line in the sand in the city of Carson.”
If passed, the law would have issued $100 and $200 fines for first and second infractions. A third offense would have garnered a misdemeanor charge, with a possible $500 fine. Officers would have determined if the violator received an infraction or misdemeanor.
Parents of minors would have been held liable and faced charges if their kids violated the ordinance. Gipson added that under the law, bullying wouldn’t simply be calling someone a name.
“It is someone who intimidates, harasses, and terrorizes, physically and emotionally, another person. And when you meet that definition, you are a bully,” he said.
Some parents were against the legislation because they found it to be unrealistic. “You can’t hold a 5-year-old child, or for that matter even a 10- or 11-year-old child, accountable for their actions. That’s what their parents are for,” resident Bryan Brown said, according to KTLA.
“I think it’s absolutely ridiculous. I think that it’s way too vague. I think that bullying in and of itself is way too vague,” said Miesha Warren, who has three kids.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25