After the major box office success that the Screen Gems rom-com Think Like A Man experienced, it was only a matter of time before fans would be treated to a sequel.
“Think Like a Man Too” hits theaters June 20th with the same hilarious cast that includes Michael Ealy, Jerry Ferrara, Meagan Good, Regina Hall, Taraji P. Henson, Terrence J, Romany Malco, Gary Owen, Gabrielle Union and Kevin Hart.
Actress Wendi McLendon-Covey (Bridesmaids) joins the ensemble in this installment that follows what happens when plans for a romantic weekend go awry.
EURweb.com associate Crystal Shaw-King visited the set in Las Vegas and spoke with return director Tim Story and producer Will Packer about what to expect this time around, and Will explains the real reason the movie was filmed in Las Vegas.
Can you tell us where you’re taking us in the sequel?
Will: It’s about the same couples. We got them together in the first one, right? This one is about them coming to Sin City for a marriage, for a wedding. You got the bachelor/bachelorette parties and it’s about those same relationships that we saw formulated and form so well in the first one. Can they survive? That’s what it’s about. Can they survive against the backdrop of Vegas? And we all know that it’s one thing to live in L.A., New York, Chicago, Atlanta whatever with your significant other. It’s another thing to go and drop that same relationship in the middle of Las Vegas – international iconic city of sin – and will it survive? We have a lot of fun answering that question with them.
When I talked to you on the first film we talked about how we didn’t cross that line into the R rating, but then you take everybody to Sin City – are we still not crossing lines?
Tim: We kind of just moved the line. But yeah we still get close to it though, very close to it. No, but we still know where are audience stands. It’s still a PG 13 [film]. You know we talk about relationships and sex and stuff, but we still stay in the world that we’re supposed to.
What did Kelsey Grammer and Adam Brody and their new characters bring to this ensemble?
Tim: Well we kind of did something that was special in the first one. We were able to make a lot of cameos seem organic to the storytelling but at the same time kind of give you a little “wow” factor. So this time around I told Will he’s got to “up it” and he came through. So we just have a lot of great guys – like Kelsey – he was just a last minute, here’s my first choice and my producer brought him through and once again he plays Lauren’s boss. That and having Floyd Mayweather – you know we just get a lot of great cameos as well and it’s become our thing to have these great cameos but at the same time make them organic to the story.
Was it a no-brainer to do a sequel or were you waiting and since the movie did so well was it like ‘We have to?’
Tim: I don’t know if it was a “We have to” but it was definitely we definitely started talking about ideas once we finished the first one, just because as it came together the characters – not to mention us behind the scenes – we’re all just really close friends and we just thought to take this group that everybody’s fallen in love with and take them on another adventure seemed kind of, it’d be wrong if we didn’t explore it. So we started talking about it pretty soon after we had the cut of the first movie.
Will: And the truth is that like Tim said, it’s like a family – so within each family you’ve got all these different personalities so Kevin Hart, he’s like the resident gambler, he gambles a lot anyway, Michael Ealy is like the resident player, teases the women. So any particular weekend, we would be down here with them anyway. So I told Tim, you know what, let’s just film this! Let’s shoot the shit! We’re going to be down here anyway. Kevin’s gonna be spending too much money, Taraji’s going to have her hair done, Michael’s going to be looking at girls with those eyes so I said let’s just shoot this s–t! And we’ll call it a sequel and the studio fell for it!
This Week's Hottest Instagram Pics (5/09-5/16)
1. Tom Joyner and Keke Wyatt1 of 52
2. Robin Roberts & Michael SamSource:Instagram 2 of 52
3. Queen Latifah & her stylistSource:Instagram 3 of 52
4. Marlon Wayans & his sonSource:Instagram 4 of 52
5. Game, Tyrese, & their daughtersSource:Instagram 5 of 52
6. Kim Kardashian & North WestSource:Instagram 6 of 52
7. DiddySource:Instagram 7 of 52
8. UsherSource:Instagram 8 of 52
9. KeKe WyattSource:Instagram 9 of 52
10. Terrence J & Giuliana RancicSource:Instagram 10 of 52
11. Sanaa Lathan & her momSource:Instagram 11 of 52
12. Kanye West & Kim KardashianSource:Instagram 12 of 52
13. Mimi Faust with her daughterSource:Instagram 13 of 52
14. Michelle WilliamsSource:Instagram 14 of 52
15. Tom Joyner and Cocoa Brown15 of 52
16. Laz AlonsoSource:Instagram 16 of 52
17. Tamar BraxtonSource:Instagram 17 of 52
18. Brandy & Ray JSource:Instagram 18 of 52
19. DiddySource:Instagram 19 of 52
20. Tahiry JoseSource:Instagram 20 of 52
21. Shannon & Monica BrownSource:Instagram 21 of 52
22. CiaraSource:Instagram 22 of 52
23. LudacrisSource:Instagram 23 of 52
24. LeToya LuckettSource:Instagram 24 of 52
25. FantasiaSource:Instagram 25 of 52
26. Gabrielle UnionSource:Instagram 26 of 52
27. BeyonceSource:Instagram 27 of 52
28. Mike Epps and his familySource:Instagram 28 of 52
29. Kevin HartSource:Instagram 29 of 52
30. Oprah with Starbucks BaristasSource:Instagram 30 of 52
31. Mariah Carey, Nick Cannon, and kidsSource:Instagram 31 of 52
32. Chanel ImanSource:Instagram 32 of 52
33. Janelle Monae & her momSource:Instagram 33 of 52
34. Lance GrossSource:Instagram 34 of 52
35. Melanie FionaSource:Instagram 35 of 52
36. Faith EvansSource:Instagram 36 of 52
37. Kelly RowlandSource:Instagram 37 of 52
38. Diddy at Howard UniversitySource:Instagram 38 of 52
39. CiaraSource:Instagram 39 of 52
40. Justin TimberlakeSource:Instagram 40 of 52
41. Evelyn Lozada & her daughterSource:Instagram 41 of 52
42. Eva MarcilleSource:Instagram 42 of 52
43. DrakeSource:Instagram 43 of 52
44. Keshia Knight PulliamSource:Instagram 44 of 52
45. Tia Mowry-HardrictSource:Instagram 45 of 52
46. Rocsi DiazSource:Instagram 46 of 52
47. Lala AnthonySource:Instagram 47 of 52
48. Swizz Beatz & his momSource:Instagram 48 of 52
49. Keyshia Cole & her sonSource:Instagram 49 of 52
50. DiddySource:Instagram 50 of 52
51. Janelle MonaeSource:Instagram 51 of 52
52. TyreseSource:Instagram 52 of 52