The band Led Zeppelin is considered by many the greatest Rock and Roll band of all time.
One of their biggest hits was “Stairway to Heaven,” considered by many to be the best Rock and Roll song of all time.
Problem is, it turns out they may have stolen it.
Attorneys representing the estate of the late Randy California, guitarist for a 1960’s and 70’s band called ‘Spirit’ are suing Led Zeppelin.
California once said Zeppelin’s song was a “rip-off and the guys made millions of bucks on it and never said thank you.”
While the youngsters were shocked, people of a certain age are not surprised, at all.
Zeppelin has been accused of plagiarizing and stealing many of their hits from other performers; mostly black, R & B and Blues acts like Muddy Waters.
Muddy Waters was the first to perform this 1962 song by a black songwriter named Willie Dixon.
A few years later Zeppelin recorded something similar.
Zeppelin never gave Waters credit.
Waters sued and it was settled out of court.
They were accused of doing the same thing with Blues performers like Howlin Wolf, Sonny Boy Williamson and Blind Willie Johnson, to name a few.
But Zeppelin was not alone.
There was Chuck Berry versus the Beatles, The Rolling Stones versus Blues performer Robert Johnson, Elvis Presley versus Little Walter Jacobs, and on and on and on.
So remember late last year when Marvin Gaye’s family sued Robin Thicke over the song “Blurred Lines” which sounds remarkably like Marvin’s “Got to Give It Up?”
A lot of older African Americans like my mother were outraged because it brought back memories of a time when the music they listened to was all of a sudden being recorded by other bands who got all the credit and the money while their favorite performers fell into obscurity and died poor.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading DON LEMON: How Many Black Artists Died Broke While White Musicians Got Paid Off Their Music?