Mark Cuban, the outspoken owner of the Dallas Mavericks, admits that he’s prejudice against African Americans and seems to want credit for being honest.

I’m not having it.

While Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling was recently recorded privately making racist remarks toward African Americans, Cuban smugly told Inc. Magazine that he doesn’t trust young black men in hoodies.

“I know I’m prejudiced, and I know I’m bigoted in a lot of different ways,” Cuban said in an interview shown at the annual GrowCo convention hosted by Inc. magazine, according to The Tennessean.

“I mean, we’re all prejudiced in one way or another,” Cuban said. “If I see a black kid in a hoodie and it’s late at night, I’m walking to the other side of the street. And if on that side of the street there’s a guy that has tattoos all over his face – white guy, bald head, tattoos everywhere – I’m walking back to the other side of the street.  And the list goes on of stereotypes we all live up to and are fearful of.”

Some will no doubt read Cuban’s remarks and commend him for being candid about his feelings on race and black Americans. But Cuban gets absolutely no praise from me for being a self-proclaimed bigot. There’s no honor in Cuban admitting that he’s prejudice while offending generations of young black men.

As the owner of a successful NBA team, Cuban should have evolved by now. But he hasn’t. After Cuban comes to his senses – if that’s possible –he should sit down with his team and explain himself.

“We’re a lot more vigilant in what we … and we’re a lot less tolerant of different views, and it’s not necessarily easy for everybody to adopt, or adapt, or evolve,” Cuban said Wednesday. “So in my business, I try not to be hypocritical. I know that I’m not perfect. I know that I live in a glass house and it’s not appropriate for me to throw stones.”

So what makes Cuban’s thinking about black men in hoodies any different from the attitude of George Zimmerman, who said he shot unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin in 2012 because he feared for his safety when he saw Martin wearing a hoodie?

Cuban’s comments about young black men and hoodies – because of the Trayvon Martin shooting — were insensitive, racially offensive, and just plain ignorant.

And here’s another thought: Is Cuban implying that would also be uncomfortable around his own Mavericks players, most of whom are black, if they were wearing hoodies and he didn’t recognize them on the street? How does this impact his players moving forward?

“You can’t keep that ugliness out of the league. There’s no law against stupid–I learned that a long time ago,” Cuban said on Wednesday during the on-stage interview at a conference.

“The thing that scares me about this whole thing is I don’t want to be a hypocrite and I think I might have to be,” Cuban said, likely referring to the expected vote by the NBA owners to expel Donald Sterling. “Being a hypocrite bothers me more than anything, after my family, so it won’t be fun.”

When asked how Cuban would be a hypocrite, he said, “Well, I just sat here and said I’m a bigot. I think we’re all bigots and I don’t think there’s any question about that.”

Perhaps Cuban was moved to admit his own personal racial bias after Sterling was secretly recorded telling a friend not to bring black men to his basketball games and questioned her friendships with black men.

So now that Cuban has acknowledged his bigoted ways, should the Dallas Mavericks players commend Cuban for his honesty or hold his feet to the fire, examine his motives, and question whether their boss is actually a racist.

At least they know where he stands.

What do you think?

(Cuban Photo: AP)

39 thoughts on “Cottman: Mark Cuban Shows Bigotry & Ignorance After Hoodie Comments

1. lecia on said:

Why are you even in the united states if you have such a problem with AA’s all you do is talk shit go back over seas where you came from or shut the f— up

2. Linda on said:

Excuse me, but white kids where hoodies also these days trying in vain to be “kool.”–So I guess I should have fear of them on the streets as well.

These stereotypes are based on ones IGNORANCE.

We can put Mark Cuban in the same boat as Sterling and have it sink since they are both POS who happen to belong to the NBA organization.

FYI–I trust no one on the streets these days, however, am always on the watch for strange acting white folks who may be armed to the teeth and may pull out an assault rifle at any moment and open fire!!!!!!!

• You just admitted to the same exact behavior as Mr. Cuban. So I guess we can stick you in that same boat with him and Sterling. What’s wrong with you?

3. Some people don’t know that they’re naturally racistsjust because nobody ever convinced them psychologically they are Red Bone. Andalso some courageous folks may reach their self-conscious like an unconditionalrecycling to their mind. Although, most of the immature folks recognizethemselves following their expressions or actions; It is always stressful whenyou are witnessing of whom who do use the light skin aspect to justifywhatsoever in their own favor. Subsequently, on the other side, we, the blackbone people must work as one genuinely as possible to let them know for now andfuture the light skin color doesn’t mean at all the white supremacy of thosewho still believe in the elder pierce which must be reframed as long as thetime going undeniably forward a better world emphasizing by common sense.Never, never remain the Arthur de Gobineau days.

4. Now, let me get this straight. This look, the hoodie, sagging ass pants and sideways gun aiming was created by black gangbangers to instill fear and intimidation on the streets that they claim to own. White men created the bald, heavily tattooed, Dock Martin wearing, tight jeans wearing look to achieve the same goal. Well, now that those goals have been achieved, and I might add, very well, they want to bitch and moan about the consequences of making themselves boogiemen. Be careful what you ask for.

5. my best friend’s mother makes $77 an hour on the computer . She has been laid off for 9 months but last month her income was $15072 just working on the computer for a few hours. check this………………….

W­­W­­W.­­W­­O­­ℛ­­ᴷ7⁰­­.­­C­­O­­M­­

6. I’­­­­­­m m­­­a­­­­­­­­­k­­­­­­­­­i­­­­­­­­­n­­­­­­­­­­­­g­­­ ­­­o­­­­­­v­­­e­­­r ­­­­­­­­­$­­­­­­­­­7­­­­­­­­­­­­k­­­ ­­­­­­­­­a­­­­­­­­­ ­­­m­­­­­­­­­o­­­­­­n­­­­­­t­­­h ­­­w­­­o­­­r­­­­­­­­­k­­­­­­­­­i­­­n­­­g p­­­­­­­­­a­­­­­­r­­­­­­t ­­­t­­­­­­­­­i­­­m­­­e­­­­­­­­­. ­­­I­­­ ­­­k­­­­­­­­­e­­­p­­­t h­­­e­­­a­­­r­­­i­­­n­­­g o­­­t­­­h­­­e­­­r p­­­e­­­o­­­p­­­l­­­e ­­­­­­­­­t­­­­­­e­­­­­­l­­­­­­l m­­­­­­e h­­­­­­­­­o­­­­­­­­­w m­­­­­­u­­­­­­c­­­­­­h m­­­­­­o­­­­­­n­­­­­­e­­­­­­y t­­­­­­h­­­­­­­­­e­­­­­­y c­­­a­­­­­­­­­n m­­­­­­­­­a­­­­­­­­­k­­­­­­­­­e o­­­n­­­l­­­i­­­n­­­e s­­­­­­­­­o ­­­I­­­ d­­­­­­e­­­c­­­i­­­d­­­e­­­d t­­­o l­­­o­­­o­­­k ­­­i­­­­­­n­­­t­­­o ­­­­­­i­­­t­­­­­­.­­­ ­­­­­­W­­­e­­­l­­­­­­l­­­, ­­­i­­­­­­t­­­­­­ w­­­a­­­s­­­ ­­­a­­­l­­­l­­­­­­­­­ ­­­t­­­r­­­u­­­e­­­ ­­­a­­­n­­­d­­­ ­­­h­­­a­­­s­­­ ­­­t­­­o­­­t­­­a­­­l­­­l­­­y­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­changed­­­ ­­­m­­­y­­­ ­­­l­­­i­­­f­­­e­­­.­­­ ­­­T­­­h­­­i­­­s­­­ ­­­i­­­s­­­ w­­­h­­­a­­­t­­­ ­­­I­­­ ­­­d­­­o­­­.­­­.­­­.

7. hottlanta on said:

A white guy just shot up those folks in California so I guess he isn’t afraid to still to cross the street.Eat the cake Cuban eat the cake.

8. Anthony on said:

People need to stop trying to find a reason to call others racist, regardless of race. It only makes themselves look ridiculous. Not everyone is against you. Please take a moment to step back and look at life through a different lens. Americans have come along way from the tumultuous days of the 50’s to a new era of racial acceptance. Some might refute that it simply has changed to tolerance rather than acceptance but many opportunities have risen for people of all creeds and colors. Please stop using a simple-minded train of thought to look at things regarding controversial issues such as this. Mark Cuban is the last person you should be reprimanding for intolerance.

9. janey on said:

Joe you are a sad little evil man . Evidently your life stinks and is meaningless. Nobody loves you so you are full of hate. I feel sorry for you that all you have in life is to log on to baw and be a racist. I hope you find peace in your jacked up life someday.

10. stan on said:

Michael Cottman is a hypocrite, if he were to meet a bunch of black jungle bunnies, hood rats, and street dogs on the street late at night he will do the same thing as what Mark Cuban said he would do.

11. janey on said:

Joe its obvious you are not black so i am not sure why you are trolling on baw. It wouldnt be an issue if you werent calling names and insulting people. Totally unnecessary !

12. americanize. on said:

Mark Cuban,or any white person in America.If their actions or language is racist it won,t surprise me. The foundation of this country is built on murder,rape trickery,thvies,an racism.To preserve all the good things for white people an their children,an their childrens,children.God bless the child that’s got its own.Wake up black people,start doing for self an u won,t have worry about what white people say about you.

13. Most of your here are stupid anyone not understanding to generalize isn’t human is stupid, uninformed, and ignorant. I really sad for most of you who commented, and as a community servant I see why the African American continues to spiral downward. Slave Mentality look that up, and see where you all are. Being a bigot and being open about is nothing to be celebrated. Why are we celebrating open rapist, thieves, drug dealers we have them too? We all have prejudices but those of us whom are evolving grow, change, and inspire others to do so, and like many of you here you stay stuck in and on STUPID………………..

14. my neighbor’s step-aunt makes $63 every hour on the internet . She has been without a job for ten months but last month her paycheck was $21762 just working on the internet for a few hours. look at this now………………………..

W­­W­­W.­­W­­O­­ℛ­­ᴷ7⁰­­.­­C­­O­­M­­

15. Mark Cuban is correct and would be very smart in terms of self-protection to think that way in the inner cities across America. Everyone who lives in the cities knows what he’s saying is true and are just acting as if what he’s saying is not true. The biggest threat to African Americans survival in the inner cities are other African Americans wearing hoodies and the other standard issue thug wear. Don’t believe me, turn on the news tonight and see for yourself. This is just an attempt to bleed him for some money based on fake insults and phony accusations of racism. “There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery. Then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved…. After all we have been through. Just to think we can’t walk down our own streets, how humiliating. — Jesse Jackson

16. IanRousseault on said:

There was absolutely nothing at all with what Mark Cuban said, nothing at all! I’m a Man of Color, and yes If I see a hooded black person walking toward me , I also cross the street. That’s just the way it is, if people are going to commit crimes in the matter that they do, you justifiably are going to be fearful and scared when you see these ‘punks’ coming your way, and there isn’t a damn thing wrong with admitting this at all! If you don’t want people to feel this way, then STOP committing crimes!

17. I think Mr. Cuban did a great job of articulating his thoughts and expressing himself he didn’t just limit his comments to blacks in hoodies he also mentioned a white person with tattoos and a shaven head so where is the reference to this? Stop being so sensitive it is because of this sensitivity that honest dialogs regarding race WILL NEVER take place as such we will never be able to move forward and make adjustments in our thought process. I’m saddened by this.

18. jhuf on said:

I’ve seen countless store robbery surveillance videos where the perp was wearing a hoodie
    (even when it was 85 deg out) sometimes it was even determined they were actually
    white, so yes I can see where there is a stigma to hoodies. And yes just like Cuban if I see a black youth coming toward me in a hoodie head covered my threat level goes
    through the roof just like a tatted up bald white kid, and frankly I don’t give a shugady
    what that sounds like to anyone

19. Cuban told the truth…As a Black woman I totally agree. The hood over your head, tattoos, sagging pants are not inviting! Black ppl tell the freakn truth. We have racism in our community and we project to other groups just like everyone else. Be honest with yourself ppl.
    We all have prejudices.

• scott on said:

I agree. I’m an African American male and if I see a young kid wearing a hoodie w/baggy pants late at night I’m going to be on alert too. We have to stop always pointing the finger at someone calling the, a racist when they’re telling the truth.

20. I really think people need to chill. Every statement someone say does not mean we need to jump up and call something racist. How many of us have said something behind closed doors that we are glad someone else did not hear.

21. Timekeeeper on said:

I totally DISAGREE with you, Mr. Cottman. the hooodie was not meant to be taken literally folks. It is merely a metaphor for a bigger picture of racist views. You can put me on blast as much as you want. I grew up in the hood before it was called “the hood” I do understand racism and I know the difference between that and when somoene is simply trying to have an honest conversation about their feelings. In fact, it is these kind of Hard discussions are the ones we need to have. We always complain that white folks are afraid to have these kinds of conversations and then when they do, he is villified for doing so. By the way, Cuban also said he is afraid of white guys, bald with a bunch of tattoos. Yeah, so am I! If you want to throw Mark Cuban under the bus for these comments, fine. But the next time you ask a white man to express their feelngs and they clam up, you’ll know why. We dont allow them to speak.

• lisac on said:

I agree. I live in Florida and it was 90 degrees this was a few years ago.I see a black male with a hoodie on with the hood up and hands in his pocket hanging out in front of CVS. I got out my car and he just stared at me with this emotionless look. I felt uncomfortable I got back in my car as I pulled off I could see him still staring. It wasn’t a stare like I look familiar or he was interested it was an unnerving stare. I don’t care if the person was black, white or whatever why are you wearing a hoodie with the hood up in 90 degree weather. I have done the same with shady looking white people male or females. I am a black women and I understand what Cuban is saying.

22. I agree will everything Mark Cuban said, we all have prejudices, and anyone who says they don’t, is a liar. White folks steal, kill, and rape, just like black folks do, and I don’t take my guard down for one second, I don’t care what neighborhood I’m in, recently, I drove up to a 7/11 store the other night, and there were three white men standing in front of the store talking, and smoking, and I did not get out of my car, I just drove to another store, as a black person, I’m just as afraid of white folks, as they are of me. There is no such thing as a save neighborhood, John Lennon, and Versace, were both murdered in front of their own homes.

23. Steve Wagner on said:

Really, Cubans against African Americans because if he’s sees a black person with a hoodie he goes to the other side of the street? I guess he’s also against white people too for he’d do the same thing if he saw a white guy with tattoos?

C’mon man, get over it. I don’t even like Mark Cuban but look at the context of his words. You look intelligent, act like it. Write like it.

And this to the first two comments on this post. Stop thinking the league has to do something about everything someone might say. Last time I check people are free to have there thoughts and to verbalized them. The line is crossed when they allow personal feelings to factor hiring, or treatment of their players. Last time I checked none of the players have had trouble cashing their checks or returned them on principal.

• That’s stupid. Just because the players haven’t had any trouble cashing checks doesn’t mean that Cuban isn’t a bigot. Most people will do whatever it takes to make money or gain wealth. It still doesn’t give him a pass for saying possibly racist comments. If I were a player, I would like to know these things about my employer because these days there are possibly a few folks who do not just think in terms of money, they may actually have morals and character.

24. pjamesiii on said:

Cuban, like so many other white men in this country are cowards. They hide behind one of white privilege, money, power or any combination there of. I will, however, agree with him to a certain extent in that to be prejudice is to make a judgement in advance of any encounter, experience, etc with someone or something and EVERYONE does this. I can’t say that I would definitely cross the street if I encountered a black guy wearing a hoodie because wearing a hoodie, alone, does not make one suspicious or threatening, but I will say if there are accompanying factors (neighborhood, time of night, number of people in the group, etc) that contribute to the intimidation factor of this person (or any person, for that matter) I may cross the street, too, and I’m a black guy with an exceptional street IQ. The bottom line is, Cuban thinks that he is standing up for a fellow NBA owner but he is approaching it totally wrong; what else would you expect from this self-centered and pompous a$$hole. He is simply living up to his reputation.

25. What make him any different than Donald Sterling, SO what will the league do about these comments, Just as Sterling these are mindsets of people. O Yeah I guess he through in the white guy to stay safe