A man who claimed that police officers assaulted him outside his Clayton County, Ga. home late last week while he was moving in is coming forward with more details about the incident. Fox 5 Atlanta reports that Dhoruba Bin-Wahad, 69, has filed a complaint against Clayton County Police with his legal team producing video that supports his statements that their response was violent and excessive.
Police responding to a burglary call approached Bin-Wahad as he was entering his newly-rented residence. A neighbor caught the interaction on a cell phone video cam, which allegedly shows the police slamming Bin-Wahad down to the ground with force. A version of the video, published by AJC.com, is below.
Flanked by his attorneys at a press conference on Monday, Bin-Wahad explained that he assumed the cops were approaching his residence with their guns drawn because they were in pursuit of a suspect he didn’t see. At no time did he realize they were coming to detain him, he said. Bin-Wahad said he was cooperative and complied with the officers’ orders, although their reports say otherwise.
“The way they treated me is indicative of how the police behave in the Black and poor community,” said Bin-Wahad.
With the explosive angle of race attached to the case, this will certainly be a developing story in the days to come. Clayton County Police officials have yet to address the case, but local news outlet Fox 5 did obtain reports from their offices which allege that Bin-Wahad was combative. The video appears to tell a different tale.
Community activists in the region say they plan to march on Clayton County Police headquarters this Thursday.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
27 photos Launch gallery
1. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
1 of 27
2. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
2 of 27
3. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
3 of 27
4. Jus haaaanngin out
4 of 27
5. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
5 of 27
6. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
6 of 27
7. new new
7 of 27
8. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
8 of 27
9. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
9 of 27
10. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
10 of 27
11 of 27
12. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
12 of 27
13. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
13 of 27
14. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
14 of 27
15. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
15 of 27
16. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
16 of 27
17. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
17 of 27
18. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
18 of 27
19. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
19 of 27
20 of 27
21. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
21 of 27
22. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
22 of 27
23. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
23 of 27
24. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
24 of 27
25. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
25 of 27
26. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
26 of 27
27. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
27 of 27