Harvard doctors have coined the term “hood disease” to describe a complex form of post-traumatic stress syndrome threatening the well-being of inner-city youth, reports The Root.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that nearly 30 percent of U.S. inner-city youths are affected by the disorder, which makes it difficult for them to learn. Those who exhibit the disorder often live in virtual war zones, the CDC report says.
Doctors at Harvard recently coined the name “hood disease,” a term for a more complex form of PTSD, the news site reports. And since the youths rarely escape their communities—unlike soldiers who eventually leave a war zone—they are repeatedly exposed to trauma.
Pointing to the lack of food security, rampant violence and a culture of fear that permeates inner-cities across the country, San Francisco State University associate professor Jeff Duncan-Andrade told KPIX 5 that education is secondary to survival for these children.
“You could take anyone who is experiencing the symptoms of PTSD, and the things that we are currently emphasizing in school will fall off their radar,” said Duncan-Andrade. “Because, frankly, [schoolwork] does not matter in our biology if we don’t survive the walk home.”
Read more at The Root.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
28 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 28
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 28
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 28
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 28
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 28
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 28
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 28
8. new new
8 of 28
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 28
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 28
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 28
12 of 28
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 28
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 28
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 28
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 28
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 28
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 28
19. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
19 of 28
20 of 28
21. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
21 of 28
22. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
22 of 28
23. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
23 of 28
24. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
24 of 28
25. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
25 of 28
26. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
26 of 28
27. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
27 of 28
28. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
28 of 28