WOLFEBORO, N.H. (AP) — A police commissioner in a predominantly white New Hampshire town says he won’t apologize for calling President Barack Obama the N-word, and he sat with his arms crossed while angry residents at a meeting called for his resignation on Thursday.

Wolfeboro Police Commissioner Robert Copeland, who’s 82 and white, has acknowledged in an email to his fellow police commissioners he used the racial slur in describing Obama.

Town resident Jane O’Toole, who moved to Wolfeboro four months ago, said she overheard Copeland say the slur at a restaurant in March and wrote to the town manager about it. Copeland, in an email to her, acknowledged using the slur in referring to the president and said he will not apologize.

“I believe I did use the ‘N’ word in reference to the current occupant of the Whitehouse,” Copeland said in the email to his fellow police commissioners, part of which he forwarded to O’Toole. “For this, I do not apologize — he meets and exceeds my criteria for such.”

Copeland, who has declined to be interviewed, is one of three members of the police commission, which hires, fires and disciplines officers and sets their salaries. He ran unopposed for re-election and secured another three-year term on March 11.

About 20 black people live in Wolfeboro, a town of 6,300 residents in the scenic Lakes Region, in the central part of New Hampshire, a state that’s 94 percent white and 1 percent black. None of the town police department’s 12 full-time officers is black or a member of another minority.

Carroll County Deputy Sheriff Paul Bois, who’s black, is one of two officers the town employs part time during the summer to deal with tourists. When asked to comment outside the meeting, he said, “I’d love to, but I can’t.”

Town Manager David Owen said Thursday that while he finds Copeland’s comment “reprehensible,” he and the board of selectmen have no authority to remove an elected official. He said he expected a large number of residents would call for Copeland’s resignation at the police commission meeting, and they did.

More than 100 people packed into the meeting room at the Wolfeboro Public Library, where librarian Joyce Davis said she can’t remember an issue in 40 years that has sparked so much emotion and outcry. Many of the people wore on their shirts handmade stickers saying, “Resign,” directed at Copeland.

“Comments like these, especially coming from a public official, are not only inexcusable but also terribly, unfortunately, reflects poorly on our town,” said O’Toole, who was met with resounding applause.

Commissioner Ron Goodgame, in response to a challenge from O’Toole about whether he and Commission Chairman Joseph Balboni Jr. endorse Copeland’s comments, said, “It’s neither my view or Commissioner Balboni’s view that the remarks are condoned.”

Balboni told the Concord Monitor he didn’t plan to ask Copeland to resign. He said after the meeting the three commissioners would meet privately soon to “solve the matter” before making an announcement.

Nearly two dozen speakers at Thursday’s meeting called on Copeland to quit, and two spoke in his defense. Resident Frank Bader mocked those who took offense at Copeland’s comments in a state that prizes freedom.

“All this man did was express his displeasure with the man who’s in office,” Bader said.

After Balboni closed the meeting’s public comment session, many people in the audience descended on Copeland, who remained seated at the commissioners’ table and staunchly refused to engage them.

“I want to think about what’s going on and decide,” he said.

(Photo Source: AP)

23 thoughts on “Town’s White Police Official Calls Obama N-word

1. Good day I am so thrilled I found your blog, I really found you by error,
    while I was browsing on Digg for something else, Nonetheless I am here now
    and would just like to say cheers for a fantastic post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t
    have time to look over it all at the moment but
    I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back
    to read more, Please do keep up the fantastic work.

2. Linda on said:

The dictionary’s definition of the “N” word truly fits this Copeland man. He looks like a real POS. Since he is 82 yrs old he was probably a member of the Klan at some point in his life.

I have never seen such DISRESPECT
    of any President of the US of A as has been spewed out of white folks mouths since Barack Hussein Obama was elected in November of 2008.

This NEEDS TO STOP–if you cannot say something positive about our President, some folks need to stfu!!!!

3. Francisco on said:

I­­­­­­’­­­­­­m m­­­a­­­­­­­­­k­­­­­­­­­i­­­­­­­­­n­­­­­­­­­­­­g­­­ ­­­o­­­­­­v­­­e­­­r ­­­­­­­­­$­­­­­­­­­7­­­­­­­­­­­­k­­­ ­­­­­­­­­a­­­­­­­­­ ­­­m­­­­­­­­­o­­­­­­n­­­­­­t­­­h ­­­w­­­o­­­r­­­­­­­­­k­­­­­­­­­i­­­n­­­g p­­­­­­­­­a­­­­­­r­­­­­­t ­­­t­­­­­­­­­i­­­m­­­e­­­­­­­­­. ­­­I­­­ ­­­k­­­­­­­­­e­­­p­­­t h­­­e­­­a­­­r­­­i­­­n­­­g o­­­t­­­h­­­e­­­r p­­­e­­­o­­­p­­­l­­­e ­­­­­­­­­t­­­­­­e­­­­­­l­­­­­­l m­­­­­­e h­­­­­­­­­o­­­­­­­­­w m­­­­­­u­­­­­­c­­­­­­h m­­­­­­o­­­­­­n­­­­­­e­­­­­­y t­­­­­­h­­­­­­­­­e­­­­­­y c­­­a­­­­­­­­­n m­­­­­­­­­a­­­­­­­­­k­­­­­­­­­e o­­­n­­­l­­­i­­­n­­­e s­­­­­­­­­o ­­­I­­­ d­­­­­­e­­­c­­­i­­­d­­­e­­­d t­­­o l­­­o­­­o­­­k ­­­i­­­­­­n­­­t­­­o ­­­­­­i­­­t­­­­­­.­­­ ­­­­­­W­­­e­­­l­­­­­­l­­­, ­­­i­­­­­­t­­­­­­ w­­­a­­­s­­­ ­­­a­­­l­­­l­­­­­­­­­ ­­­t­­­r­­­u­­­e­­­ ­­­a­­­n­­­d­­­ ­­­h­­­a­­­s­­­ ­­­t­­­o­­­t­­­a­­­l­­­l­­­y­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­changed­­­ ­­­m­­­y­­­ ­­­l­­­i­­­f­­­e­­­.­­­ ­­­T­­­h­­­i­­­s­­­ ­­­i­­­s­­­ w­­­h­­­a­­­t­­­ ­­­I­­­ ­­­d­­­o­­­.­­­.­­­.

=======>>> W­­W­­W.B­­A­­­Y­­­­9­­­­­1.C­­O­­M

4. Racism is still around and will be forever. The older generation that is using this “N” word most likely was taught to them when they were a child so THEY HAVE NO CLUE AS TO WHY THEY EVEN USE THE WORD

5. VirilisAfricanum on said:

That would be a negative, my friend. The actual decline of this nation was first, a decline, nay, an abdication, of Morality. The ruin of this country began (in the mid 1600s) when men, such as yourself, with dark souls and evil hearts decided to redefine (you know, like you guys are doing with marriage) indentured servitude for the black indentured servants (and their offspring) and make it mean lifetime slavery.
    So, that Facts are what they are. They had a chance to build the nation on an unbroken foundation, but then, as now, greed drives the train. Those old “founding farters” doomed their posterity to perpetual turmoil and unhappiness. They sold the new country’s birthright in exchange to a immediately (gratification) financial gain.
    Thus, here we are 238+ years later and their descendants are “still pissed off.” Still can’t find a way to cope or reconcile the demons within them. So what doe they do, they curse God, they say he doesn’t exit, call him a sky fairy. Why, because they MUST try to “convince themselves” that God doesn’t exist, lest they would have to do what is right; lest they would have to confess their sins; lest they would have to acknowledge that there is a hell which many of them are going to. So yes, Satan, you can continue to post on BAW (until it is better moderated with flagging ability, etc…), and we’ll keep ignoring you – that is of course when you decide to change your screen name again. Oh, and here’s one that should really make your day, “in the name of Jesus Christ, I forgive you.” Thanks, as I shall not post anymore today. God Bless you

6. Francisco on said:

$9­­­­­­­­­7­­­­­­­­­/­­­­­­­­­h­­­­­­­­­r­­­­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­p­­­­­­­­­av­­­­­­­­­iv­­­­­­­­­d­­­­­­­­­v­­­­­­­­­ b­­­­­­­­­y G­­­­­­­­­oog­­­­­­­­­le­­­­­­­­­, I­­­­­­­­­ am ­­­­­­­­­making ­­­­­­­­­a ­­­­­­­­­good ­­­­­­­­­salary ­­­­­­­­­from ­­­­­­­­­home ­­­­­­­­­$5500­­­­­­­­­-­­­­­­­­­$7000/week ­­­­­­­­­, ­­­­­­­­­which ­­­­­­­­­is ­­­­­­­­­amazing, ­­­­­­­­­under ­­­­­­­­­a ­­­­­­­­­year ­­­­­­­­­ago ­­­­­­­­­I ­­­­­­­­­was ­­­­­­­­­jobless in ­­­­­­­­­a ­­­­­­­­­horrible ­­­­­­­­­economy. ­­­­­­­­­I ­­­­­­­­­thank ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­God ­­­­­­­­­every ­­­­­­­­­day ­­­­­­­­­I ­­­­­­­­­was ­­­­­­­­­blessed ­­­­­­­­­with ­­­­­­­­­these ­­­­­­­­­instructions ­­­­­­­­­and ­­­­­­­­­now ­­­­­­­­­it’s ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­my ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­duty ­­­­­­­­­to ­­­­­­­­­pay ­­­­­­­­­it ­­­­­­­­­forward ­­­­­­­­­and ­­­­­­­­­share ­­­­­­­­­it ­­­­­­­­­with ­­­­­­­­­Everyone, ­­­­­­­­­Here ­­­­­­­­­is ­­­­­­­­­I ­­­­­­­­­started,,,­­­­­­­­­

===========>>>>> http://x.co/4eWgZ

7. Francisco on said:

just as Janet implied I’m alarmed that a stay at home mom able to make in 4 weeks on the computer . more information>>& gt;>>>>>> Check Link In Below

>>>>>>>>> x.co/4eWgZ

8. VirilisAfricanum on said:

It appears we have a few new Trolls, okay, I’ll play the game. So, you cited some oft-quoted statistics. Yes, believe it or not, blacks are not a monolith (actually, not group of people are). However, it appears you left out a few other salient points about the black existence in Our Nation’s history. You know, all the facts like the numbers of judges, doctors, physician assistants, dentists, lawyers, engineers, Service Academy Graduates (West Point, Naval & Air Force Academies), school teachers, University Professors, Accountants, CEOs, state and federal legislators, Wall Street fund managers & Pilots (not including Astronauts, of which some have been black, and have died in the service of Their country) there are, or have been.
    You also forgot to mention the nearly 5 thousands African Americans that graduate from Ivy League schools each year – I’m sure you’ve heard of the Ivy League (Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton, University of Pensilvania, and Yale. Notice I didn’t mention other prestigious institutions of higher learning, like John Hopkins, you know, the school that Dr. Ben Carson attended, you do know who Dr. Ben Carson is, don’t you?
    Speaking of service to Their country, I noticed you also forgot to mention the 80 black recipients of the Medal of Honor, you know that thing awarded in the name of Congress for gallantry above and beyond the call of duty in combat; I won’t count the other 8 earned in peacetime prior to WWII. Nor will I count the hundreds of Distinguished Service Crosses (the 2nd highest award for valor). Nor will I reach back and count the heroic stand of Crispus Attucks at the start of the American Revolution; nor the hundreds of African American Generals and Admirals that Our country has produced over the years.
    However, I will say this as a combat veteran of two wars (in different decades), as some one who has faced the enemy on a real field of battle; the next time you are in Washington DC, marveling the work of other men that came before you, walk on over to the war memorial section and stand in front of the Vietnam Wall. Touch the namespace the wall and I guarantee, your hand won’t move a foot or two without touching the name of a black patriot. One who, you my friend, if you lived a hundred years, could never be worthy of. When you leave there, go over to Arlington National Cemetery and visit the newer graves of the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans ( where some of my companions lay in rest) and ask for the section where the white folks are…see if such a place exists.
    You will notice that I didn’t mention a single athlete or entertainer; we know how many billionaires were created by the (occasional) millionaire entertainers “others” seem to enjoy so much. Heck you may have even been one of those guys with your face, neck, and torso painted in your school colors, rooting for one (or the whole team) of our folks. And after the game, got into your car blasting that rock music; you know rock music, that thing that sprang from Our churches. And by Our, I’m talking about those first inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame who were – wait for it……black. Or should I use the term that was intentionally forced on Us by people wanting to make us look like we wanted to be a separate type of American – African American.
    Yes, America has it’s social problems, and we will continue to have our problems until we honestly deal with them – you know, not hiding behind a keyboard spewing racist remarks – but one thing’s for sure, especially considering the immigration policies of the last 20 years, no one is going anywhere – so unless your going to be part of the solutions, it’s senseless to contribute to the problems. You don’t really change Anything, not one thing.

• VirilisAfricanum on said:

Yep, I typed “your” instead of “you’re” towards the end, but I’m sure you got the message.

9. Charles on said:

I see that racism and bigotry is alive and not well. I do pray for you Paul. I have to say to you that my children are all educated. Yes they did not receive there education from a white man, they received there education the old fashion way. Hard work, studying, God’s Holy Spirit, and Family Support. You and Mr. Copeland can keep your narrow minded views, because at the end of the day you have to answer to God. Take care and God Bless you.

10. Honestly on said:

Nubian Brothers and Sisters don’t waste your time trying to reason with cave n!@@ers. They are rigid and defiant racist. These feces smelling neanderthal apes are a curse upon humanity. They should have never been let out of the caves of Europe.

11. The Truth on said:

@ Paul, get off black America website and take your disgusting anger out on your own race. If you want to spew hate there’s a website where you can get an eye full of fifty disgusting low down white trash. Latest.com have good reading for racist people like you, such as; six white brothers raped their white sister from age four to fourteen, also white mom left her 3 and 1 year old to sleep in the bushes for a week while she slept in a motel room. There’s so much more trash for you to read about your own race, so go over to latest.com click on the OMG tab and you will see who the filthy guttered trash is in America.

12. I said it. on said:

You have to pass over the comments of racist who post. They’ve been surpassed mentally and financially by minorities and are upset looking for someone to blame. They are poor me, look what minorities have taken from me type if people. As far as the old fart who won’t resign, God will resign him soon enough. He looks like he’s on his last lung.

• Timekeeeper on said:

Agreed. They patrol these websites for the sole and express purpose of injecting hate & discord into the dialogue.

13. janey on said:

I wonder why a certain evil nasty racist continues to be on baw everyday. I swear he wants to be black. Must have a sorry little meaningless life.

• Just ignore him as I have stated in a previous post. He’s trolling for you to click on his name and get a few bucks from his conservative masters. Don’t give him the time of day. Just a poor soul who’s disability check ran out in Virginia.

14. stephanie on said:

This old buzzard, hopefully he’ll die soon and go straight to hell where he can shovel shit for the devil. He’ll never change, he’ll take his hatred to hell with him.

15. the hebrew israelite on said:

some time i think there is a powerful force behind the background trying to promote some kind of race war or something, it’s coming and i feel sorry for the one who take the bait black and white.

16. Timekeeeper on said:

Thjese statements ( I suppose) need to be outed when they occur. I certainly hope by now, we know that racism and bigotry is alive and well in this country. President Obama has brought out the best, and WORST in a lot of people. The scab of bigotry was pulled of this country on January 20th 2009 and we have never stopped bleeding. The book of Isaiah says that ‘Hell hath enlarged itself, and opened its mouth without measure.” In other words there is room for all with this mentalitywho actually prefer Hell which is the case of this man. Stay positive, prayed up, and be on point. Cause’ he aint the only one.

17. Paris on said:

Apologize for what? You are supposed to apologize if you think you did something wrong and it’s obvious he doesn’t. I’m sick of people saying mean and hateful stuff and then issuing an insincere apology later. I say keep your apology.