The senior class of Forsyth County High School in Georgia celebrated their upcoming graduation with a sign that showed their excitement and enthusiasm surrounding the occasion.

However, it was the message on the sign that caused them a great deal of suffering.

Fox Atlanta reports that a group of white students hung a large sign off the side of a building reading “N*gga we made it,” a lyric from Drake’s “We Made It.”

The kids felt that this phrase encapsulated their struggles so much, they wrote it all over the school’s windows as well.

School officials were forced to issue a statement after the image of the sign made its way to social media (from Fox Atlanta):

South Forsyth High School Parents: This morning, without our knowledge, students placed a derogatory sign with a verse from a song by Drake on our school as a senior prank.

We removed it as soon as it was brought to our attention and deeply apologize for their behavior. This is unacceptable and I promise you that the students will receive the appropriate consequences for their actions.

Plastering this message anywhere would be inappropriate, but the fact that the events occurred in a predominately white school district is sure to add fuel to the controversy.

While media attention is one thing, the consequences of these students’ actions is another, and as of now it has yet to be revealed whether or not the students involved will be allowed to walk at the upcoming graduation ceremony.

Can you say senior prank gone wrong?

What do you think should happen to the students? Should they still be allowed to receive their diplomas at graduation?

REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.

(Photo Source: My Fox Atlanta)

14 thoughts on “Graduating Students Hang Controversial ‘N*gga, We Made It’ Banner

1. MPISH on said:

Normally, I wouldn’t agree with that type of “expression” for a lack of better words, HOWEVER, as a Black female I feel that if some Blacks want to CONTINUE referring to themselves as the “N” words, they should not be offended when someone else uses the word. These students were simply ‘reiterating what a Black man said, and not like they were calling a Black person the “N” word and they should not be punished.

• Sheila crump on said:

I DO FEEL SO AGREEABLE WITH THE FIRST RESPONSE, IF WE CONTINUE TO RUN AROUND CALLING EACH OTHER THE “N” WORD WHY IS IT SOOO WRONG FOR OTHER FOLKS TO SAY IT. WHEN BLACK PEOPLE SAY IT. IT’S JUST ANOTHER WORD FOR SAYING “HOMIE” WHEN OTHER RACE SAY IT, EVEN OFF A SONG THAT’S PLAYING. ALL OF A SUDDEN IT’S RACIST. COME ON NOW. ONCE APON A TIME WE FOUGHT TOOTH AND NAILS TO NOT BE CALLED THAT WORD. NOW IT’S SAID WITH AVENGEANCE, BY NO OTHER THAN BLACKS. SMH

2. Not upset nor surprised… I live here and know kids both white & black that go to this school. My child attends South’a rival school and here’s my take on it: If WE (yes, I’m black) don’t make that type of music, they wouldn’t feel it’s ok to sing that type of music! White teenagers listen to Rap/R&B ALOT! They “bump” if in their cars all the time. Black artists have desensitized the word& unfortunately it’s no longer taboo. Yes I think the word is wrong but like so many “bad” words it’s become “acceptable”. Who’s to blame? Not these kids

3. Babyboomer on said:

Stupid kids. It’s just wrong no matter who uses it. Look at all the headache this has caused. Proof positive that using the word is always a bad idea.

4. Mac Ben on said:

Good for them. NO ONE should be using it! If Drake did…and they were invoking his lyrics…then there is nothing wrong with it. Had this been black students it would not have made the news. PUT UP OR SHUT UP!!

• Charles D on said:

That’s where you are wrong Mac Ben, you think that is acceptable conduct for our children ? NOT EVEN so don’t use us as an excuse for what you think, I would have been just as outraged as those parents are. It’s not acceptable to me thats for damn sure!

5. Traboe on said:

Will it ever be acceptable for a white person to use any form of the N word? I’m not going to argue whether black people should or not right now but I mean come on…what makes them think it’s okay, I don’t understand. There’s too much history and hurt between the two races and that word.

6. Timekeeeper on said:

Forsyth count has a vry long history of racism. Oprah Winfrey went down there and called them out a few years back. Before that other civil rights activits did the same. IUn recent years that area has gotten a lot better. However, Im certain some old residue is still there. Ignorant, yes I agree. But they knew what they were doing, deep down.

7. I said it. on said:

Prank gone wrong indeed, but people also need to be aware what they put out there. Even the phrase “ghetto queen”. People have grabbed that one and ran with it. Now when you look at an article that is about African American women and scroll down to the comments section their is some nut writing disparaging comments with ghetto queen, or some form of ghetto being thrown around. We have to be very careful because racist will take it and run with it. These kids may be more ignorant than racist though. I’d have to know more about them.